64 Barracuda Will Not Crank Over

-

nerd racing

Reaction score
I went to get the Barracuda out of the garage for the season and ran into a few problems. Over the winter I put in Doug's headers, mini starter, new fuel pump, plugs wires cap and rotor, rebuilt the carb, and put on a 2.5" Exhaust. Topped off the fluids and put some fresh gas in the car. Tested the battery and it registered between 12 and 13 volts. Went to crank it over and had a relay click and then nothing. Figured the battery needed a charge so I went to jump it and still nothing. More than half the time the relay didn't even click. I noticed my headlamps, turn signals, and horn didn't work either. Charged the battery up and same thing.

To me that means the starter/main relay is shot. Do you guys agree? Where would the fusible links be on the car? Could I have popped one of those?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Looks like it was a bad connection at the starter on the power feed to the relay. Fixed it and she fired up and ran like a top.

Just had to replace the terminal on the wire

Nice diagnosis...nothing makes your day then a quick fix a little cost!

Good work. I keep a multimeter in all my cars (free at HF), which makes trouble-shooting simple. Don't ever blame the starter until you verify it is seeing >8 V from big stud to case. If not, other parts aren't doing their job.

Good to know the spec on voltage, thanks!

I'm having charging issues with it now. I'm going to have to test the voltage regulator and alternator tonight.

-
Back