64 Barracuda

-

ajones19802

Reaction score
Well,

I figure I might as well start now.

I recently traded my 1973 Plymouth Duster 225, for a 1964 Barracuda.
So far, I have fixed the radiator, because the last one blew while I was driving it home.

Tommorow my dad gets home, and we start the real fun. 8)

Welcome, lets see some pic's. I hope you have a lot of dedication and time.

Welcome to the site!Good to see the young guns keeping the old,early A,s alive!It,s always a good first sign of a project with you saying you drove it home.Pics please!Good Luck!

Welcome! Obviously I like your Barracuda. You will find lots of help here. :cheers:

So YOU are the lucky dog who owns that 4-speed car! I've admired it since the first time I saw it here...and it's former owner did so many upgrades. Congrats!

Nice score ajones. I know the previous owner didn't want to let it go. I'm sure he's happy to know it went to a good home. Welcome!

So thats who ended up with it. If I had been on the Left coast, I would have attempted to aquire it myself. Good trade.

Yep, AJ ended up with my Cuda, and I'm sure he'll give it a great home. He's good kid for sure!

We traded straight up, and I got his beautiful 73 /6 Duster.
I've been putting ~70 miles / day on it all week driving to work, and she's doing great.

Well, yesterday and today were spent on the interior. We took our time and dissasembled everything, wet sanded it down, and repainted it. Tommorow we are going to rebuild the door panels, and then I will take some pictures, but so far it looks great! Also flushed the radiator, and fixed my brakes, haha thought there was going to be something wrong with the drums, but we checked the fluid level and sure enough it was empty. I love simple fixes :) We are also looking into putting 2 little 6 inch speakers in the front, to compliment the 6x9s in the back, (which may get replaced) and I want to go ahead and put a 10 or 12 inch sub in the back to fill it out. The great thing is, i cranked some bass through the car as is, and nothing rattles, except the speakers themselves. Gotta love classic cars, they were certainly built the right way. Pics are on there way, try to get them up by monday at the latest.

Well we need to wipe it down, but want to let the paint dry all the way, but here is the interior.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Sure am, tested the car to see if it rattles with large amounts of bass, haha not at all, so I'm selling my desktop computer and I'm gonna put 2 12'' subs in the back. And two little 6 inchers in the front.

Well the Barraucda stopped working on me the other day, felt like it was misfiring. Well, we put on new points, a rotor and cap, and double checked the spark plug wires, to find out.....it still didn't work! So in a last ditch effort we pulled one of the vaccum lines that we had just replaced because the old one was too big, and it turns out the one that we put on wasn't ment to be there in the first place, but the bigger vaccum line was allowing enough leak to run well. So now we stil need to resurface the flywheel to take out some of the clutch chatter, and we are going to re lube the drive shaft, (we think it might be dry as a bone)

Good to see it went to a good home 8) Very cool Car!

Evan, give me a call sucka! Haven't talked in a while, the racing things kept me busy... Duster looks cool! Here's the first car I drag raced, and my father's current Bracket car.

duster.jpg

_MG_8686sh-2.jpg

Hey guys, I just got the original radio from Evan, and I was wondering where I should mount the current one. I want it to look stock, but still have my nice stereo. Suggestions?

Yo Tony!
Glad to hear your stayin busy buddy.
Hit me up whenever you have time I'm around.
I love that Blue Duster you had, I'm having a great time with the 73 I traded AJ here.

Hey guys, I just got the original radio from Evan, and I was wondering where I should mount the current one. I want it to look stock, but still have my nice stereo. Suggestions?

Hey AJ,

Glad to hear you got the radio.
I would check it to make sure it works ok before you mount it.
I got it with the car, but I've never tested it or anything, as the previous owner had the new cd player mounted in the dash.
Other than that, I would probably put the newer head unit in the glove box.
Or maybe build another console and mount it in there behind the shifter?
Just a couple ideas.

Well Evan, I took your advice. I went ahead and built a console and put it behind the shifter. I then took out the stereo that was in it and matched up the stock radio. The radio needed some work so I went ahead and preped it, then primed it with some krylon fusion, and its out there drying with a coat of krylon chrome paint. Looks sick when its in the car. I'm gonna go ahead and mount not only the CD player in my new console, but the summit gauges as well. Kinda "Resto-modding" the car. I also decided that I'm going to make the transmission shake my first priority, because as I was driving a friend home today (something I'm not supposed to do because I haven't had my license a full year) I pulled out from a light and the trans shuddered and made the tires chirp just a bit. Next thing I know my friend is flipping out and tells me to look over to my left, and when I do a Cop rolls down his window and says "nice car, but stop burning out!" I kindly explained to him about the clutch chatter and he drives away. My friend and I nearly had heart attacks. All part of the fun!

Well here is the console, I'll put the gauges in tommorow, and we should be done! I have pics of the building process if anyone wants to see them

img052.jpg

Well the other day, the car was idling rough. So i poped the hood and could hear a knock through the driver side Valve cover. Well me and my dad poped off the valve cover and found out we had a broken Valve. We removed the rocker arm assembly, and saw that it broke at the valve stem tip. So we took off the head and we are going to put a new valve in. Ahh the joys of a 45 year old car, gotta love em! (Sorry for the cell phone pictures.)

img053.jpg

img054.jpg

img055.jpg

img056.jpg

Well, we ran the parts to the machine shop today. Rethread intake manifold, rebuild drive shaft and convert to U joints, resurfaced flywheel, and a new valve and valve guide. We also had to buy tons of new bolts because as we took it apart we found missing bolts the wrong bolts and nuts everywhere, and a bunch of stripped bolts . We also lubed up the shifter mechanism because it was all gummed up. Found a place downtown that has parts for old cars called Obsolete Auto Parts. Got new Z bar bushings and clips, and a glove box(the old one had rotted out) Ordered a new clutch and pressure plate because due to the shotty work on the engine/trans, the people installed a new clutch and pressure plate but left on the flywheel with alot of cracks which pretty much killed it. But when we get this all back together, it will look and run so much better. We also painted the trans and bell housing and are planning to paint the underside of the car! Having a ton of fun with this car. MOPAR or no car baby.

Possible valve float? Hmm. Good progress though!

Well the driveshaft was taken to Corona, CA, and the rest of my parts are done. Great news about this is, these are the last repairs that we need to make to make this car solid! Then we will probably prep and paint the car, then re detail the interior. So pretty much all cosmetic work!

-
Back