64 dart conv. top

-

bhorg

Reaction score
I have a 64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible were all tops power or were there manual also. The frame was off when I bought this and no signs of being a power top. But at a swap meet gentleman told me it should be power

Every A-body convertible that I have been around has been power, but I haven't been around a lot of early ones. I do know that E-body convertibles could be had with manual tops. I know of a 70 Gran Coupe Barracuda convertible that was factory manual...

I have a 64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible were all tops power or were there manual also. The frame was off when I bought this and no signs of being a power top. But at a swap meet gentleman told me it should be power
they could be either power or manual. you can check by looking on the dash for a switch . that should tell you if it was supposed to be manual or power. It isn't conclusize if the switch isn't there so look for the power top motor that goes behind the back seat. also on the floor pan in the raised section hidden by the side panels look there right on the front edge and see if there is a C hmm U shaped opening with a hole in it (lower pin to mount top rams
if it's a manual top then you might have a latch or plastic clip that holds the top closed.
View attachment powertoplocation.jpg

heres a manual locking latch in Johnmucci's dart as you can see it holds the top down/closed or would that be down open????
View attachment lock piece.JPG

you can make it either one if your starting from scratch.

Thanks I have the manual hold down clips on mine just seemed weird that it is a GT and wasn't powered. yes I am starting from scatch all the interior is out. there is no switch hole either in the dash. Is converting worth the effort?

Someone once posted that the mechanisms were totally different. So even after removing the hydraulic components from the assembly the top frame could not be operated by hand. If that is all true then it goes both ways, meaning you would need a complete hydraulic top assembly.

Someone once posted that the mechanisms were totally different. So even after removing the hydraulic components from the assembly the top frame could not be operated by hand. If that is all true then it goes both ways, meaning you would need a complete hydraulic top assembly.

If you have this shape on the back of the top in the up/closed position then you can have a power top. The spring and bracket mounts to this and so do the power top rams. (I just looked through the service manual and did not see any reference to a manual top on the 66's). I know for a fact that the 65 has a manual top since I had one but can't find anything on it either. amd Waggin has a 63 or 4 that is manual top too! I think Pyrojim and johnmucci both have a manual top also. pm them and see if he can post a picture of his frame in the up position.
View attachment !!!!power or manual top.jpg
if your has this shape it can be a power top

Thanks I have the manual hold down clips on mine just seemed weird that it is a GT and wasn't powered. yes I am starting from scatch all the interior is out. there is no switch hole either in the dash. Is converting worth the effort?

have you ever raised a manual top? it's not nice if the top isn't balanced by the spring correctly. but with that being said it's expensive to change to the power top.
1 switch( i use the Ebay switches 25 amp 3 position momentary on) link is in my switch cover made post. 32.00, mines getting mounted in my custom console next to the power window switches.
2 wiring, roll your own the 40+ year old stuff is brittle as all get out use 10gauge to carry the load unless using relays (use relays to save the switch) ????
3 hose set (yeah get ready made) 100.00 and won't leak.
4 power top rams (cheapest I have seen is 114.00 each and I need 2 for my dart.)
5 power top pump. well you COULD pay the 239.00 for a new/rebuilt one OR you could get one from a 93'ish foxbody mustang, since they are the same pump and connectors for a lot less than that. I got mine form a salvage yard for 10.00

so
32.00 switch
40.00 (guess for wiring)
228.00 power top rams
100.00 top hose set
10.00 to 239 for top pump
=410.00 to 639.00 so yeah it can get expensive.

plus if you have to get the bottom piece (I am not finding anything in my 66 or 65 service manual about the differences in the manual to power top)
of the convertible top that mounts to the body to change from manual to power that's more money but I thought they didn't change until later 67 ish) years to a different type for manual and power. but just added a bracket to mount the spring onto the power top pivot.

-
Back