64 Dart Convertible Motor

-

Vcode

Reaction score
I can use some help with a 1964 Dart Convertible motor. How is it attached and does it have any ground wire to the motor. A picture would be great.
Thanks Bob

It mounts on rubber grommets. There is a ground wire (black) and two power wires. The power wires get reversed to change the oil flow.

Thanks, I saw grommets. I will check the motor closer for the black ground wire.

64 Valiant.. Canadian build so the back end is a Dart GT...

Not the best of photos from the trunk but you can see the grommets and zoom to where the wires branch off to down to the connector. R Y B

Convertible Top motor 1 20220110_163754.jpg

Convertible Top Motor 2 20220110_163748.jpg

Great pictures. Thanks

The view is from between the back of the rear seat and the trunk. Wires are on the driver's side so standing at the back of the car they (the wires) exit the motor to your left.

(not sure if that helps or confuses more)

It mounts on rubber grommets. There is a ground wire (black) and two power wires. The power wires get reversed to change the oil flow.

Mopar reverses power on power window motors but not the power top motor... The fact it has a separate ground should be a pretty good sign that they aren't reversing polarity...

In my 1964 Valiant conv, the factory lift motor has a grounded case and a wire for raise and one for lower. They are powered separately, with each flowing to ground (separate motor coil for each direction?). The wiring and hydraulic tubing was there, but no motor-pump when bought (plus lift cylinders were corroded stuck).

In much later cars, there are just 2 wires which reverse polarity, but the lift motor-pump is fairly generic otherwise. The motor coils are likely isolated from the case. I bought a later assy, for a ~1995 Ford Mustang I recall. New ones are ~$200 on ebay, but my used one was maybe $70. Other than wiring, it looks almost identical to the OE 1964.

I have the factory switch actuate 30A relays (2 or 3, I forget). You need 5-terminal relays, i.e. with an 87a terminal (NC), as some "Bosch relays" don't have that terminal. Fairly simple "relay logic". Each switch position actuates one relay coil. Inter-wired, the result is reversing polarity on the 2 thick wires (recall red & yell) that run to the motor. Seems I needed a 3rd relay so no power to either relay (30 terminal) on in "off" switch position. You'll have to figure it out since not crawling under the dash to look. I recall while poking around on the web that 1990's Ford had 2 relays mounted at the motor-pump, probably for similar polarity swapping.

In my 1964 Valiant conv, the factory lift motor has a grounded case and a wire for raise and one for lower. They are powered separately, with each flowing to ground (separate motor coil for each direction?). The wiring and hydraulic tubing was there, but no motor-pump when bought (plus lift cylinders were corroded stuck).

In much later cars, there are just 2 wires which reverse polarity, but the lift motor-pump is fairly generic otherwise. The motor coils are likely isolated from the case. I bought a later assy, for a ~1995 Ford Mustang I recall. New ones are ~$200 on ebay, but my used one was maybe $70. Other than wiring, it looks almost identical to the OE 1964.

I have the factory switch actuate 30A relays (2 or 3, I forget). You need 5-terminal relays, i.e. with an 87a terminal (NC), as some "Bosch relays" don't have that terminal. Fairly simple "relay logic". Each switch position actuates one relay coil. Inter-wired, the result is reversing polarity on the 2 thick wires (recall red & yell) that run to the motor. Seems I needed a 3rd relay so no power to either relay (30 terminal) on in "off" switch position. You'll have to figure it out since not crawling under the dash to look. I recall while poking around on the web that 1990's Ford had 2 relays mounted at the motor-pump, probably for similar polarity swapping.

-
Back