'64 Dart Cragar S/S Size & Back-spacing

-

whodat72

Jihad this!!!
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a set of used S.B.P. Cragar S/S's for my '64 Dart but I'm not sure what size fits best. The car has stock drums front & back. I've run across a set that has "reverse" backspacing which I think will make them rub on the outer wheel well, is this correct? Does anyone have a set on an early Dart with drums? If so what are the spec's. I've also found a set of 14x7's with a 3.5" backspacing. I spent the past few hours looking at old posts in the "early A" and "wheel and tire" forums and haven't run across any that specifically adress this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have a good set that will work, let me know...

try something really different...?? ford 16 17" rims with wheel adaptors. stuff some big wide tires right up inside those wheel wells without rubbing.

try something really different...?? ford 16 17" rims with wheel adaptors. stuff some big wide tires right up inside those wheel wells without rubbing.
I'm not sure I follow you????? I'm looking at Cragar's and kinda want 'em to fit the first time. I'm trying not to waste any un-necessary $$ Know what I mean? But thanks for the suggestion...

well i was i your position a few months ago.. and looking at different rims for my 63 gt...cragers and some other stuff.. and all seemed a little to much for my puny budget. and as i started looking at pictures of them with the cragers i realized (from othe sites) i said "geez how boring" it been done. and i wanted something not done and would be el''cheapo. cause i am MR. El''cheapo. found 98 steel intrepid rims with 2" adaptors and they fit perfect. 225/60/16 in the rear and 225/50/16 up front. looks awesome!

on my 71 scamp 05 crown vic rims with 1 1/2 " adaptors with 1 1/4" spacer on the rear and 05 vic rims on the front same adaptors also used the 1/4 spacers. tires i mounted.... 245/60/16 in the rear (had to take the grinder and shave a smidge off the leaf spring) now...no rubbing not even against the outer wheel well. on the front 215/60/16. i know this is a little different to the path you're going down, but i wanted to share with you a different idea that is cheap and other A body guys just freak out with jealously that they didn't think of it first. believe me no one else will be running anything like them....one last thing.....rally mopar center caps fit with minor grinding and look very factory! happy moparing!

Sounds interesting...not exactly what I had in mind, but I'll keep it in the back-up plan file. Are these front wheel drive wheels or do they just have alot of back-spacing? Any pic's?

I'm looking to pick up a set of used S.B.P. Cragar S/S's for my '64 Dart but I'm not sure what size fits best. The car has stock drums front & back. I've run across a set that has "reverse" backspacing which I think will make them rub on the outer wheel well, is this correct? Does anyone have a set on an early Dart with drums? If so what are the spec's. I've also found a set of 14x7's with a 3.5" backspacing. I spent the past few hours looking at old posts in the "early A" and "wheel and tire" forums and haven't run across any that specifically adress this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have a good set that will work, let me know...

Best way to stay safe is with the 15X6 Cragers. If you go with 15X7's you'll have tire clearance problems. You could have a set widened and sectioned to a get a 4.5" backspace

OK I have a 64 Dart, run 15x7s rear, 15x6 front Cragar SS rims.

Small Bolt Crager's to be reproduced!
http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/contact.asp

Newstalgia Wheel has made a deal with Cragar to produce small-bolt Cragar SS wheels in a limited run of 14 x 6 up to 15 x 8 sizes. They will be taking still available 800-281-2819

I think I went with the standard back spacing for these rims and they fit perfect. I think I was able to squeez a 235/60/15 in the rear, but the tire would have been very close to the stone guar. The outler lip area is fine, tires fit tucked under car, and there is room on the leaf spring side too.

I went with:
15x7 rear rim with a 225/60-15
15x6 frt rim with a 205/60-15 note 215 may rub on a hard turn?

I've got a set of old 14 x 6 Cragar S/S all the way around on one of my cars. Use a 205-70R14 on the front and 245-60R14 on the back. I've got a later production set of Cragar S/S on another car with 14 x 6 on the front and 14x7 on the back. Seems like the backspace is listed at 3-3/8 for the front and 3-5/8 for the back. Using the same tires on this car and the rears look a little wider due to the rim width. Upper outer edge of rear tires runs close to the inner wheelhouse but have never rubbed. They didn't make the SBP S/S in a load of backspace options though......

I think the new runs on the sbp 15s are a lrger offset. i recall mine are like 4 3/8? I need to measure to make sure. But the newer 15s will sit in for more tire clearance on the outer edges.

I think the new runs on the sbp 15s are a lrger offset. i recall mine are like 4 3/8? I need to measure to make sure. But the newer 15s will sit in for more tire clearance on the outer edges.

What I found out was they are 3.5" offset. I have a 15X7, 4" offset with a 235/60 on the back of my 64 and they run too close to the fender lip

yes.. they are front wheel drive rims and have the proper back spacing when combined with the adaptors and spacer. these are new technology aluminium adaptors and spacers. NO issues about strength! They are Billet. Cragers are way cool and have that old school look, but everytime i meet up at cruises there are tons of other a-bodies with the same-o-same-o look. I wanted to be different, but stay in my budget and have semi-low profile tire/rim combo look without breaking my piggy bank.....and i mean piggy bank. i actually save my change to fuel my mopar addiction! oh, yes...i do have pictures..if you send my a private message with your e-mail i'll send you pics...i don't think anyone else cares to look at my experiment. that's Ok. one last thing 14" and 15" tires are getting real expensive for performance style tires. 16 and 17" can actually be cheaper.....food for thought!

Thanks for the input. I've got a few different size suggestions. If I'm understanding correctly (and correct me if I'm wrong) 14's or 15's will both work, 6" max on the front and 7" max on the back and the back-spacing should be 3-3/8" to 3-5/8" although there weren't many options offered?

-
Back