64 dart four speed

-

goodbread

Reaction score
I've got an original 64 dart / 273 / 4 speed. It's a survivor car out of montana with about 115,000 miles. The motor runs great, but when really pushing the acceleration, I can feel a pretty strong vibration in the clutch pedal. The shifter feels fine. As good as the car runs, it doesn't seem to transfer power to the rear wheels too well. When cold, the clutch really whines before getting the car into gear. Any suggestions? Is it simply a need for a new clutch? I've never noticed any slipping.
Thanks for any advice. Dave

I have a 65 Dart with 273/4 speed and I would guess that you need a new clutch, disc and the clutch bearing. I just changed that om mine and I got a new car. Any pictures?

As 65dartcharger said, it sounds like it's time for a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing. Also, carefully chech the flywheel for cobweb cracking and scoring. It may need to be resurfaced.

Oldvart was right, look up the flywheel as well. You might also check the bearing at the end of the crank. Mine was almost gone and with a new one and some copper grease it became as new.

Thanks for the information - will get that done. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Just finishing a cosmetic restoration on it. Dave (augusta,ga)

-
Back