64 dart gt project

-

pdg1958

Reaction score
I'm starting a new project 1964 Dart GT convertible, my idea is to install a 5.2 magnum with an a518 trans. Upgrade the brakes, add power steering. The idea is to made a car that could be a daily driver. Any ideas , thoughts , helpful hits would be most appreciated. Will post pics as I move along.
dart1.jpg

dart2.jpg

You will need to modify your transmission tunnel to fit the tranny due to the width of the OD unit.

Sounds like the car will be a fun driver. Good luck.

one of the best looking early dart gt''s I ever saw was a dark blue metallic with light blue spear, and matching light blue convertible top, and 2 tone interior: dark blue metallic vinyl bolsters with light blue insert panels. I tried like he'll to buy it from the drunk who owned it, but he wouldn't budge. Last I saw it, it had about a foot and a half deep pile of wine bottles, etc. If I ever get a 64 gt convert, I would try to duplicate that factory color combo.

I have been thinking about Viper blue with white top ,seat and door panels. Will disc brake set up from 1974 duster work? I've also read about the firewall is ok or will it need to be modified? I order mounts from Schumacher Creative Svc , should be here this week so I can test fit the engine.

the brakes will work, but it's best to grab the control arms, too, or at least the upper, and spindle, of course. If you use the later lower, the sway bar bracket is reversed from earlier style. you can use the earlier sway bar, or maybe if you cut a hole in the cross member, you can use the later (bigger dia)sway bar. I don't know why somebody would say you have to mod the firewall, unless they are just talking about the pinch weld. Of course the tunnel is a different matter. There's no denying the trans body/tail is longer to accommodate the OD, that's going to require some extra fabbing.
As far as the color goes, it's your car, paint it any color you like. Just consider what looks good on a Viper, may not look as good on your car.

Awesome! Make sure the torque boxes are solid & welded the same, then subframe connectors & frt end bracing. I think the color combo will rock,...............................

-
Back