64 Dart headlights, gauges, interior lights went out

-

Astroy

Reaction score
I have a 64 Dodge Dart gt with slant6. I bought it after it had been sitting for about a year, started right up mostly original except for an installed stereo. I drove it around for a couple months and one day it rained and my fuel gauge stopped working. Then my Temp gauge, then my interior lights, head lights, and all my back lights.

I was also having trouble starting it until I found the ignition wiring had been burnt- so I stripped and replaced the connectors and it starts, sometimes. I'm trying to restore it although I'm not big on wiring, don't know much but I have my manuals though I haven't been able to find the problem yet. All I know is that my alternator is working fine and so is my battery. I replaced spark plugs and tubes as well but haven't touched anything else.

Any help would make my day thanks.

First thing I'd check is the battery connections and ALL of my ground connections. Engine to body, battery to body, etc. Also, not sure but I think there's a ground on the fuel tank sender.

You may have more than one problem. The head light switch sounds to be either wet or corroded. I had the same problem a few years back, you can still get them. Try disconnecting it just for laughs and see if it works for you.

ps. Get the color coded sheet from this guy on ebay. just enter in your make and model and search it will come up there like 20 bucks i got mine for the 64, hasn't proved wrong yet.

I have a 64 Dodge Dart gt with slant6. I bought it after it had been sitting for about a year, started right up mostly original except for an installed stereo. I drove it around for a couple months and one day it rained and my fuel gauge stopped working. Then my Temp gauge, then my interior lights, head lights, and all my back lights.

I was also having trouble starting it until I found the ignition wiring had been burnt- so I stripped and replaced the connectors and it starts, sometimes. I'm trying to restore it although I'm not big on wiring, don't know much but I have my manuals though I haven't been able to find the problem yet. All I know is that my alternator is working fine and so is my battery. I replaced spark plugs and tubes as well but haven't touched anything else.

Any help would make my day thanks.

X2 checking body grounds & clean/inspect firewall terminal blocks too.
X2 wet headlight switch.
Please check for front windshield leaks. Spray down with water outside, and look up under dash with flashlight. Better done when inst. cluster is out of car.
If leaking, the back of inst cluster and cowl under windshield will be caroaded, remove and reseal front windshield.
(See our restoration thread, under "members restorations" titled, "ABodyBetty's new Baby comes home. It will show with pics what to look for when checking for leaks)
Then remove inst.cluster, disassemble, clean, reassemble, reinstall (also replace all bulbs with new. (See same restore thread for this too with pics!)
Check guage operations after rehab/reinstall, if bad replace guage thats bad.
Good Luck!:read2:

Once you sort out your grounds and conections and your gages still don't work, 1964 fuel gage has voltage limiter inside the gage which is the power supply for the fuel gage and temp gage.

Sorry about your wiring problems.

I found and printed a wiring diagrahm for my 66 somewhere and came in real handy when I had problems, I'll have to dig it out and see where it came from. Might as well by-pass your amp meter and see if that helps.

Sounds like multiple problems. Trouble areas....Bulkhead (firewall) connector;
Headlight switch and dimmer switch; back-of-dash connections; fuel gauge (when it goes bad, many times it takes out the temp gauge also); The drivers' side kick panel connector; trunk wiring damaged by unsecured cargo through the years; Door switches corroded will cause the interior lights not to work. They clean real easy with some find sand paper. Hit them (and other connections out in the weather) with some good lithium grease to seal out moisture and keep the corrosion to a minimum. Get a good wiring diagram, a test light, and take your time. It's easy if you think about it a little. Think of electricity as you would a plumbing problem.....it flows from one side of the battery to the other through different components and the wires are like pipes. Just be carefull to disconnect the battery before messing with connections or unfused leads that might get shorted accidentally with a careless tool.
Have fun, Mark

-
Back