64 Dart needs new muffage

-

victordemise

1964 Dart 270 4 Door
Reaction score
It sucked.
I was getting on the freeway onramp (uphill) and my lil 64 Dart 270 hesitated, nearly stalled, then BOOOM!!. It was the loudest backfire I ever heard, and it was mine.
Needless to say I had blown the lid off the front end of my muffler, not completely, just the top and bottom edges, and you can imagine how it sounds now. (Well, it's kinda cool.)
But the point is, I need to get me a new muffler, and wonder what you might suggest. My car is pretty much stock, but something that wont hinder the performance too much would be nice, something that still offers reasonable noise suppression.
I once put a "Cherry Bomb" on my 69 Fury, and it was cool, but maybe too loud. (This Cherry Bomb was like a short muffler, not one of those skinny ones I think I saw once)
Any thoughts.

I second that suggestion. Aero Chambers! I use a pair myself. Quite enuff for convo's in the car.

You may need to find out why the back fire happened to, Are you running rich and or an ignition problem ?

Oh, hell, I'm WAY past that THANK GOD.
It was my points mainly, and timing, but all fixed now.
Got a lousy tune-up from a young mechanic who, you know, just doesn't know these old Mopars (I'm learning myself-All the time!)
Yeah, I totally had to make sure I wasn't gonna 'pop' a brand new muffler before I went a bought one!! (Good thing too, cause there were a couple other, smaller, backfires I had while getting the car tuned. So now I'm ready to fix the muffler. It's a bit*h trying to hear how your engine really sounds with a big ol' hole in the front of your muffler!! Now that it's tuned, I'll bet it'll sound really good, not racing good, but street good.

-
Back