64 dart power top for convertibles

-

rdb

Reaction score
I am still trolling for the '64 dart GT convertible, to reconnect with my young life-- have posted here before about this. My one way back when had the cool power top, and I was hoping to find one with this feature. Some have had it but don't have the right interior color or engine, etc.

But then got to thinking, maybe I best remove that criteria because if there were problems with a power top and its 50 year old electrical/mechancics/hydraulics you could have a mess on your hands, getting caught in the rain if it won't work. Or getting stuck halfway up....

Two questions for the experts!!

Can a non functioning power top be raised by hand or do the hydraulics, etc, prevent this, that is if it's non fucntioning, for electrical or hydraulic reasons, it ain't coming up no way! so as much as it would be cool to have power top, am I better off in 2014 without one

Can a non power top be retrofit to be power one, w/ new stuff or refurbed old stuff. What kind of job/expernse is this to have done? It occured to me that the top frame could be totally different.

I am seriously relating to that '64 on ebay w/ the clean black interior... it's a non power one. Still would hope to get a slant put in.

Bob B

Two questions for the experts!!

Can a non functioning power top be raised by hand or do the hydraulics, etc, prevent this, that is if it's non fucntioning, for electrical or hydraulic reasons, it ain't coming up no way! so as much as it would be cool to have power top, am I better off in 2014 without one

When I had my 65 Dart with power top on the road, the power top work flawlessly every time up or down. Later on I bought a 65 Signet 'vert with a non-working power top and I was able to raise/lower it by hand, well two hands and a little extra effort.

Can a non power top be retrofit to be power one, w/ new stuff or refurbed old stuff. What kind of job/expernse is this to have done? It occured to me that the top frame could be totally different.

Bob B

I think part of the top mechanism where the lifts attach is constructed differently than on a non-PT, which is spring assisted to raise/lower it. IMHO, I believe it would be easier to replace the top bows with the correct ones for a PT.

FWIW, I'm parting out/getting ready to cut up my 65 'vert to concentrate on my 65 wagon (too many projects and too much rusty quarters on the 'vert. So the complete PT set-up is available: top bows, lifts, motor, wiring, floor hardware, etc. IU see you in the Bethsda area which is about an hour or so from me should you be interested in the set-up.

On 70 Barracuda the power top was not working due to broken plastic hyd. line and so I just raised and lowered it by hand for about 10 years till I found a source for the lines and one cylinder. So it is not a deal breaker but the replacement parts are out there.

I want to make a removable hard top just to be different and warmer in the winter.

I had a 66 Dart convertible with power top. It was purchased used, and had a hard prior life. I worked on just about everthing on the car, but not the power top, they must be bullet proof.

Well, if the deal goes down, that is a possiblilty. Thanks for the info!
\
When I had my 65 Dart with power top on the road, the power top work flawlessly every time up or down. Later on I bought a 65 Signet 'vert with a non-working power top and I was able to raise/lower it by hand, well two hands and a little extra effort.

I think part of the top mechanism where the lifts attach is constructed differently than on a non-PT, which is spring assisted to raise/lower it. IMHO, I believe it would be easier to replace the top bows with the correct ones for a PT.

FWIW, I'm parting out/getting ready to cut up my 65 'vert to concentrate on my 65 wagon (too many projects and too much rusty quarters on the 'vert. So the complete PT set-up is available: top bows, lifts, motor, wiring, floor hardware, etc. IU see you in the Bethsda area which is about an hour or so from me should you be interested in the set-up.

Sold my 68 Dart last year after 10 years, had replaced the motor and pistons, one was leaking. Worked great when done. Picked up a 65 Dart last fall and it's my first non powered top (had 3) wasn't sure if I would like it at first but it's almost easier then powered. Quick up or quick down. Get the car you want with either top, not an issue. happy hunting :)

Even after the hydraulic cylinders are unattached the power top frame is difficult to operate by hand. It can be done but not as easily as the manual top frame.
Converting a manual top frame to a power top frame is pretty much impossible due to differences in hinge points. etc..

Well we have one guy here saying that he did his non working power top by hand no prob.for years, but another guy saying it is really hard to work the power top manually.

My question is -- although it would be cooler to have the power top, assuming it's not new/replaced stuff, let's just say something in the origninal power or hydraulics craps out, would it be frozen in place, iether up or down, or imagine it conking out mid way, being unmovable, ... don't want to get caught like that!

Still having the slant is more important than the power top but since I am not a mechanic much beyond doing timing and cleaning/adusting spark plugs, I have to pay for the work I want done.

On 70 Barracuda the power top was not working due to broken plastic hyd. line and so I just raised and lowered it by hand for about 10 years till I found a source for the lines and one cylinder. So it is not a deal breaker but the replacement parts are out there.

I want to make a removable hard top just to be different and warmer in the winter.

-
Back