64 Dart Project, need help please

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We were finishing up on getting the Hurst Super Shifter linkage fitted up when I notice that the tail shaft is sitting almost against the trans tunnel. I can reach in with two fingers so I'm guessing I have about 2 inches of clearance. Seems to me that's not enough. I have two poly motor mounts and a poly tranny mount. I haven't measure the angle of the motor sitting in the engine bay but I'm guessing it's a little high due to no give from the poly mounts. Can someone who is running a 4 speed check theirs and let me know. Thanks.

Should be fine - my car is a 66 w/ automatic trans and there is an oem rubber pad that sits above the trans on the torsion bar crossmember. Its screwed into the crossmember, from below if I remember correctly. Anyway, the trans tail shaft sits very close to it. I assume your car is similar. You are probably okay. The rear of the trans doesn't move much anyway.

Just checked mine '65 Barracuda 273 w/A833 - about a finger & a 1/4, had no problems last summer.

Should be fine - my car is a 66 w/ automatic trans and there is an oem rubber pad that sits above the trans on the torsion bar crossmember. Its screwed into the crossmember, from below if I remember correctly. Anyway, the trans tail shaft sits very close to it. I assume your car is similar. You are probably okay. The rear of the trans doesn't move much anyway.

mines the same, maybe 1/4" clearance with a 4 speed. i do plan on using the torque strap though just in case

Thanks guys, I guess it just looked a little close to me. The motor sits a little higher than stock because of the poly bushings having no give with the engine weight.

Dart4forte - you mention poly bushings - I assume these are for the engine mounts. Is your car using a small block with the oem K frame ? Reason I ask is I had searched for poly mounts for my car - 318 using 66 mounts on 66 K frame and only could find rubber.

Thanks

Dart4forte - you mention poly bushings - I assume these are for the engine mounts. Is your car using a small block with the oem K frame ? Reason I ask is I had searched for poly mounts for my car - 318 using 66 mounts on 66 K frame and only could find rubber.

Thanks

The mounts I am using are from Schumacker

http://www.engine-swaps.com/

-
Back