64 Dodge Dart vin # attachment

-
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can tell me how my vin # is attached.
There are two holes for rivets however it looks like it might have been glued on. Mine is off now and I want to reinstall it the correct way. I have seen other cars that also did not have rivets.

Thanks
Richard Kennedy

All of the early A`s I have had it was spot welded and had holes drilled through it that were left open.

Mine had screws and the were old and rusty
Moe

3968a323.jpg

i just put a bit of panel bond adhesive where the spot welds were and re-attached on a 63 valiant i had a while back

I was told the holes were used during the stamping of the plate. That doesn't explain why there are two holes in the door frame, other than to line it up. They were then welded in place with a couple of spot welds. on a 60 to 62 plate take a good look at the plate.... the first 2 numbers are stamped from the front with a different stamp and the last numbers are stamped from the rear with a different stamp set.

The research I have done indicates that the serial number plates were installed with a panel bonding type of adhesive. The holes were punched into the plate and door frame to align it while the adhesive cured. I have removed a couple of plates by sliding an old paring knife between the plate and door frame and tapping it through with a hammer and never encountered any resistance like a spot weld or ripped the plate as if it were spot welded. They also had a black material on the back like some sort of glue. I put those back on to the cars with a dab of urethane from a windshield shop.

All of the early A`s I have had it was spot welded and had holes drilled through it that were left open.

ALL '65 Darts that I have seen have a non-rosetta rivets that holds the VIN Tag in place.

ALL '66 Darts that I have seen have Rosetta Rivets that hold the Vin Tag in place.

I dont know about '62, '63 and '64 A's. Could be as you say, glued on with 2 holes used to hold/press in place.

ALL '65 Darts that I have seen have a non-rosetta rivets that holds the VIN Tag in place.

Both my 65 Darts (GT made in Detroit) and wagon (made in LA) have NO rivets and are bonded in place.

ALL '66 Darts that I have seen have Rosetta Rivets that hold the Vin Tag in place.

I dont know about '62, '63 and '64 A's. Could be as you say, glued on with 2 holes used to hold/press in place.

My two 65 Darts are glued. No rivets in either. Just open holes

I would like to thank everyone for all the Information on this
It should be easy to remount after the paint is complete
Thanks
Richard

-
Back