64 four speed shifter boot

-

goodbread

Reaction score
Took everyone's advice - (thank you) - and replaced the clutch and pressure plate on my 64 dart convertible. Unfortunately, the mechanic shredded the original shifter boot. Any idea where a replacement can be found? Any other boots that work well with my shifter? thanks for the help.
Dave

The only place I know of that has them is Layson's, (or, at least, they list them in their catalog, doesn't mean they HAVE them) but they're $98! Or, $135 with the chrome trim ring! :wack: I need both, but I'd sure like to find them for less. :sad:

:burnout:

Thanks for the info. The only problem I can see is that the factory boot pointed forward to match the angle of bend in the shifter handle & this one is made to point straight up. The round hole in the boot would work for me because my stock Hurst handle is round. I'd be interested to see how it works for you. Post some pics when you get it installed. I wouldn't mind saving over $100.

Actually, the boot is formed to lean forward or reverse, either way you want to install it. It is definitly not formed straight up and down. Also the chrome ring is the right size to fit the factory hump. If I get a chance I'll take a pic and put it on here. Mike

Heres' a pic from the side I just took. I'll tell you one thing, I'd wrap a rag around it and drive before I would buy one from Laysons. Mike

DSC00783.JPE

That doesn't lean as far forward as stock but it sure looks like it would work. I'm kinda' with you about ordering from Layson's, :butthead: but I have a coupon worth $18 on a $50 order from when I ordered the catalog. From the sound of things, I'm probably lucky I even received the catalog! :sad: Also, I've done the rag thing before. It works, but it looks kinda' tacky.

Brewers has one a lot cheaper than Year One. They want like $170 dollars just for the boot! Brewer has one for $105 or so. I'm getting close to needing one and probably get one from them. I contacted Year One just the other day cause my plate is a little bit ratty looking and mine doesn't have the ring is has the plate that looks like this. Which is on National back order! What a deal. Believe it or not it's on $57 bucks way cheaper a rubber boot! Man. Ok I'll quit now.

Lee

sbtr63a.jpg

Lee, let me get this right. Are you saying that the plate in that pic is only $57? That seems really cheap. I think I'll put my name on that list. Mike

It's been on back order since November of last year. They said it usually takes 6 months to get something on a national back order like that, but there not even sure if the people are going to make them anymore. Isn't that a crock of crap.

Lee

I've got one of those plates with a small crack in it that I bought used for $15. I wasn't sure if I was going to use it or not because I thought it wasn't correct for '64. Plus, it still needs a boot, just a different one, right?

Well, I'm pretty sure it take the same boot. My hump is out of a 65 Cuda, but I got pictures of a 64 Cuda with that plate in it. The hump needs a thing up in front of the hole to run the top screw into. Can you see it the pictures. It's a tab that sticks up off the floor board.

Lee

MVC-130S.JPG

MVC-861S.JPG

Hey Lee, if you are looking for door panels for your Valiant I bought some other parts from a guy and he had some pretty clean blue ones for cheap, if you are interested. Mike

I found a Mr. Gasket boot that I think is identical to the one on ebay. It was on Amazon for about $12.00 bucks. Includes the plate. I have it ordered and will post when I have had a chance to install it. Dave

i bought one from laysons about 5 years ago for my 64 dart gt 273/4speed car. i had to send it back 3 times because it had to much mold release left on it and was really stiff and within a month each time cracked. they made me pay shipping back each time as well even though their part was faulty. get it from brewers, they are a good company.

redfastback said:
i bought one from laysons about 5 years ago for my 64 dart gt 273/4speed car. i had to send it back 3 times because it had to much mold release left on it and was really stiff and within a month each time cracked. they made me pay shipping back each time as well even though their part was faulty. get it from brewers, they are a good company.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but do you have any idea how many 4-speed 273 Darts were made in 1964, or where I could find out? I have one, of course.

The closest I can get is 12,500 64 GT 273's. I don't have any breakdown
for 4-speed cars. You would have to contact Galen Govier Mike

makes me wish i still had my 64......... i found it in an abandoned warehouse in alameda and brought it back to life and drove every day for about 1 1/2 years. it even had the same build date as my cuda, but 4 years apart.

The previous owner of my 66 had Galen Govier do a vin# search. It's one of 1237 66 Dart GT's with the HP 273 and 4-speed. My first car was a 65 Dart 270 with a hp273 and a 3 speed. I saw somewhere there were just a few hundred of that combo made. Wish I had that one back. Mike

toolmanmike said:
The closest I can get is 12,500 64 GT 273's. I don't have any breakdown
for 4-speed cars. You would have to contact Galen Govier Mike

How do I contact Galen Govier? Thanks!

Just type Galen Govier in your Google or internet search engine. GTS Home
is what you click on. Galen is the guru of Mopar information. He knows all!
Toolmanmike

-
Back