64 Plymouth Valiant Dies

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
As the title reads, Its a 64 Valiant /6, push button auto. sometime at an idle the car just dies. like someone pulled the negative cable off the battery, but the electronics still work. 9x out of 10 it will fire right back up. Also, the instrument cluster lights dont come on when i first turn on the lights. It takes them a while, but they eventually come back on. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

You have original wiring? What for ignition system, IE points, Mopar ECU conversion, etc?

No1 suspect on these old cars is the bulkhead connector

Inspect/ replace the ballast resistor, push/ pull the connectors on/ off to scrub them clean

Pull apart and clean/ inspect the bulkhead connector.

Do the same with ignition switch connector. If you have strong nimble hands (Mine are arthritic) on some cars you can reach up and push/ pull the ignition switch connector to scrub it.

If the above does not give you results, go to Radio Sh##, etc, and get a 12V LED. "Rig" it in a simple manner with extra wire, etc, so you can hook it to the coil side of the ballast (if you have points or ECU) or to the supply voltage for MSD, other.

Run this out the rear crack in the hood, or a convienient spot in the firewall to someplace where you can see it. Next time it quits, you'll know for sure it's actually electrical.

yes-- check your connections--- corrosion at the firewall is a problem as is behind the dash.
inspect/tighten your connections---

I have also sprayed pb blaster/ lube on the fuse box & connections to assist in cleaning of the contact points-- nice looking ride, Lawrence

You have original wiring? What for ignition system, IE points, Mopar ECU conversion, etc?

No1 suspect on these old cars is the bulkhead connector

Inspect/ replace the ballast resistor, push/ pull the connectors on/ off to scrub them clean

Pull apart and clean/ inspect the bulkhead connector.

Do the same with ignition switch connector. If you have strong nimble hands (Mine are arthritic) on some cars you can reach up and push/ pull the ignition switch connector to scrub it.

If the above does not give you results, go to Radio Sh##, etc, and get a 12V LED. "Rig" it in a simple manner with extra wire, etc, so you can hook it to the coil side of the ballast (if you have points or ECU) or to the supply voltage for MSD, other.

Run this out the rear crack in the hood, or a convienient spot in the firewall to someplace where you can see it. Next time it quits, you'll know for sure it's actually electrical.

its been converted to elec. ignition. and to the best of my knowledge is original wiring

what is this "bulkhead' connector? I apologize, im a visual person so if you have pictures of what your talking about, that would be awesome

its been converted to elec. ignition. and to the best of my knowledge is original wiring

what is this "bulkhead' connector? I apologize, im a visual person so if you have pictures of what your talking about, that would be awesome

LOOKS like this... except it has wires coming out of all the lil rectangle holes...is on the firewall somewhere close to the master cyl

Attachments

• bhead1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 192
  • bhead2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 189
OH! Ok! Much appreciated. So, more than likely I can clean up the connections on this lil bugger and be good to go? *crosses fingers and toes*

I would pull out and replace your light switch, or at least clean the contacts on it also.

That's not a bad idea. It should have a decent warranty. Its borg warner. I cleaned the bulk head from the engine bay side with pb blaster. It hasn't died since the *knocks on wood*, but the instrument lights still come and go

Cleaned the bulkhead connector and no dice.... Im gonna find the reciept for the headlight switch and swap it out and clean the connector on it as well.

-
Back