64 to 66 A Body Centerlink help

-

Invader 52

Reaction score
Hi

I need help either finding or ? An centerlink problem in my 63 valiantI put in a 360 and the centerlink rubs on the pan. I am using Schumacher mounts.
Thank you

You know as soon as you throw something out or sell it that you will NEED it or someone you know will!

Well, I just crushed a V8 Valiant and totally forgot to take the v8 center link... Oops

FYI: all 1966 A bodies have 'V8' centerlinks, even the Slant Six models.

I put a 360 in my 66 cuda. I had the same problem. I took a piece of pipe and a hammer and put a small dent in the pan where it hit and it works fine. The 273 pan has a indentation from the factory to clear the drag link also.

New info. At least for 64 & 65, the V-8 centerlink drops a bit more than the slant's. I have both, and it is hard to tell the difference. Was your car originally, a slant? If so, find a V-8 centerlink (a bit rare). I doubt the Shumaker brackets make a difference, since the K-member is the same between slants and V-8's in early-A's.

I also recall that early-A V-8's have a different oil pan, with a dimple for the centerlink. 67+ small block oil pans don't work, unless maybe you use a hammer. An early-A 273 oil pan will fit a 318 (LA) or 340 block, but not a 360 (larger rear bearing). People have put 360's in early-A's, so search for those posts. There must be a few secrets.

This is not true....maybe a rare few had them but most slant six cars in 1966 had the slant six center link, I have had several 66 Valiant slant six cars and none ever had a V8 center link in them....including ones found in the junk yards. 67-72 all had the same center link.....

never had any problems with any LA oil pan fitting a 66 A body with the dropped V8 center link,, no special pan needed,,just the correct center link,,,

As I previously stated I put a 360 in my 66 cuda with Schumacher mounts and the 360 pan hit the centerlink. All I had to do was,put a dent the size of a 3/4 water pipe where It hit and It works just fine. The pan for the 273 that was from the car had a factory dent in it for the same purpose. The fix is as easy as opening a beer!:finga:

FYI: Unless you've OWNED every single 66 A body, you don't know what you're talking about. The 63-66 A bodies had one center link for V8s and one center link for the slant six. The 67 and up were all the same.

EDIT: And if I knew WTF I was talkin about, I'd be dangerous. You are correct, sir. My apologies. At least I am consistent with foot in mouth disease.

-
Back