'64 Valiant and 400bb

-

RobC.

Reaction score
Ive posted a week or so ago but my post got swiped...anyhow I plan on putting a 400 in my v200 2dr Valiant. I was kinda curious about hidden problems with this install vs. the obvious. I know about axle upgrade and replacing the torsion bars ect...
But a few more questions ..oil pan- which works the best front or center sump...its looking like the truck pan I got with my motor wont work...and has anyone been able to hookup/keep the original push button control for the tranny..the tranny I'm using is from a 3/4 2wd pickup a 904 I think.
I plan on Sunday driving/cruising this car(which is gong to be with a lead foot)...and probably wont race it....yet. So what rear end gear ratio seems to work best with the massive low end torque I'm planning to get out of this thing with the light weight of the car? or maybe a better question is what are some of the rear ratios are some of you running?
My motor build is stock stroke depending on the cost on the crank of the 400...I havnt completely torn it down yet and it looks pretty good so far but still may go .01 down. Otherwise I'll do the 451 setup. I'm chasing around 9.5 or so cr, comp 270h cam,eddy rpm,650 holley vac,headers ..and maybe a noisy geared timing set for wow effect...but kinda' a basic rebuild other than intake and cam.
Heres a few pics and thanks in advance for any advice/tips.

Attachments

• P1011126.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 247
  • P1011125.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 274
  • P1011124.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 254
nice clean looking hotrod. try jw transmissions down in florida for a ultrabell. this adapt the 904 to the b motor. for what you want to i'll suggest a basic rebuild in your garage. polish the crank, remove the ridge, deglaze/hone the bore and get a 3 angle valve job done. new oil pump, cam and kit, adjustable rocker gear if it's in the budget. an up graded torque convertor, aluminum intake, 750 holley, gear drive like you mentioned, rebuild the electronic distributor and tube headers. a 3.55 rear gear should be about perfect and the guys will chime in on the correct oil pan for you.

its a pretty easy straight forward swap.

motor mounts are easy. you can buy them from a couple places i believe..

oil pon i have used both a stock style c-body pan (the one with the notch in it) and a chrome transdapt pan.. probably better off with the c-body pan..

trans, to keep the push button you'll have to try and find a big block push button trans and figure out if you can adapt it to your push buttons. big block push button with a slip yoke transmissions are going for some good money. i guess you can look around and see is anyone makes a 904-big block adapter plate too. you'll most likely have to start with a small block push button trans though.. you'll also have to clearance the floor some to fit the 727.

rear end i'd go 8 3/4. gears all depends on the motor. 3.23 would be a nice all around gear.

disc brakes would be a must for me.

mostly a street car. i'd put bigger torsion bars in it too.. .920 minimum in my opinion from personal experience...

exhaust is the biggest issue. no one makes headers for those cars with a big block in them... if it were me i'd have headers made. but some had squeezed manifolds in there. but if i'm building a 451 i'm not choking it with a manifold. thats just personal preference.

here are a few pics of the 64 valiant i built years ago.. i was running a 440.. fun car man...

64valiant025.jpg

64valiant023.jpg

64valiant024.jpg

64valiant022.jpg

64valiant019.jpg

64valiant001.jpg

[ame]http://youtu.be/YjoU-3e-ss4[/ame]

I'm in the process of the same delima, money being a huge part. It can be an easy swap if funds are no problem, I opted not cut up the engine compartment, but acquired other headaches involving exhaust clearance problems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-07-23-12-13.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 20141016_195716.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 210
I am building a 64 Dart wagon with a 383 with a push button trans. Second BB early A for me.

Ray

First off...Abody Joe that car is almost identical to mine and thats what I'm looking to do. Did you replace the rad with anything fancy or is that the stock /6 one?
Also the 400 I have is from a 74' 3/4 ton dodge extended cab truck and the tranny is the one that was hooked to it..2wd. If I cant figure out the push button thing then it'll be a B&M shifter but I work in a machine shop so I should be able to engineer something up. I'd like the interior to withhold its original patina...looks new on the outside but feels like 1964 once you get in it...even the speedo squeaks a little when we drive it and it still has the orig. AM radio.
I plan on getting the schumaker kit for the mounts and I'm working on a 9" rear end from a buddy of mine. I dont know how much I care for the fender headers...and I might make up some homemade jobbers once I drop the block in for mock-up, but do they make a lot of heat being right under the hood?and speaking of hood how much clearance is there with a perf rpm and holley 4150 carb and a standard air cleaner with a bb?
Thanks for the advice so far!

I'm doing the same project , mine is a 65 Valiant , putting in a 64 413 with a 4spd should be a fun ride , just in the process of gathering all my parts , down to the rear end now , i'll post some pics soon

-
Back