65 273 with electric ignition

-

jw97neon

Reaction score
i just purchased this car knowing it stalls after warm up. I am chasing a few things and want to make sure it is not ignition that is acting up. It has a mopar performane electronic ignition kit. I have read that a ballast after it gets hot can cause it. But really do not know much about it. Any ideas were to start?

Put in a GM HEI module. There is a post on here showing how to do that. Gets you a much stronger spark.

i just purchased this car knowing it stalls after warm up. I am chasing a few things and want to make sure it is not ignition that is acting up. It has a mopar performane electronic ignition kit. I have read that a ballast after it gets hot can cause it. But really do not know much about it. Any ideas were to start?
That's what a ballast resistor does when its working - it gets hot.

Check the reluctor gap in the distributor... 007" with a brass feeler gauge...

If the gap gets over .030" it will not start when warm.... Happened to me once... Ok it happened more than once until I found the problem...

Don't assume it's correctly gapped straight out of the kit, check to be sure...

Or it can be the pickup. sometimes they open up when hot. Easy check with a hair drier heat it up while cool it fails guess what!

-
Back