65 4 door dart tallest rear tire

-

65slant

Reaction score
Hey all
I have 15x8 sbp wheels with 4.5 in backspacing coming in from summit, i was just wondering what the tallest size was that i could fit on my dart with MINIMAL clearancing. idk if rear wheel clearance is different from 2 to 4 doors? its a slant 6 and stock auto I'm building the car to cruise on the highway easily. thanks

I used a 15x7 with a 4" backspace and 225/70's. The 1/4's on your 4 door are the same as a 2 door. Keep us posted when you mount and install them. You may have to roll the fender lip for tire clearance. tmm
Here's a link to mine: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=241504

SWEET car man mines the same color for now, wish mine was a two door. takin it to school 1000 miles away so i can't complain, helluva lot better than a corolla:thumleft:

I'm replacing the 7-1/4 with an 8-3/4 and also wondered about fitting tall tires. Since I need a new drive shaft anyway, I was thinking about asking the local spring shop if it would be practical to modify the main leafs by moving the center bolt holes 'back' 1". Then, assemble the springs with the rest of the 'normal' leaves. I realize the spring characteristics would change (Better, worse?). This would also reduce the weight on the rear tires but just 1" doesn't seem like a big deal. This way, I figure I could install 29" tall tires in the future if I wanted to. Emergency brake cables and hydraulic brake flex hose may need modification but these could be overcome. I just don't want to hack up the body. Any comments?

I have heard of moving the center bolt holes back 1", I'm not sure if it will affect the ride or not and I'm also not sure of how it will reduce weight on the back wheels? what do you mean?

To increase the weight on the rear axle, the early funny car guys moved the rear axle forward. You can imagine if the rear wheels were moved forward enough, all of the weight could be made to rest on the rear axle.

Picture moving the rear end back 10' and you can understand how the front wheels would support more weight.

I don't think 1" would be even be noticeable.

To increase the weight on the rear axle, the early funny car guys moved the rear axle forward. You can imagine if the rear wheels were moved forward enough, all of the weight could be made to rest on the rear axle.

Picture moving the rear end back 10' and you can understand how the front wheels would support more weight.

I don't think 1" would be even be noticeable.
ooooooo right the altered wheelbase drag cars, in that way i don't think it'll make a noticible difference

I installed a 70 Challenger 8 3/4 rear end by moving the spring pads in to match stock leaf spring width and installed super stock leaf springs after having flared my rear wheel wells. I thought the four door styled this way actually was more pleasing to the eye than the factory 2 door look. This way I had no trouble with 10 inch M & H slicks (26.3 inches tall)>

Attachments

• 1965 Valiant Effort copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 116
-
Back