65 (60?) oil pump removal

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
What a *****! My 65 had to have both its motor mounts removed (per FSM) then I had to put a scissor jack between the block and the frame rail and pry motor over about 6 inches while floor jacking the motor until it hit the firewall. The FSM says you can do it with a piece of wood wedged between the pan and the K and then use a prybar to move the motor over 3 inches to "just clear" the oil pump drive. Thats BS unless the original pan is way skinnier than the one I got on this 1960 motor, hit the K big time before it was clear. The pump drive is about 4" and that has to come straight out. Good luck!

Attachments

• 030115165749.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 186
I had to remove the right motor mount and jack the engine up pretty high to get the oil pump out of my 65 Belvedere slant six. It was a royal pain.

yup, and mine is even more narrow. Hope I only do it once. This was for a cam change. My pump didnt even have a gasket on it...?

not a drop. But the shield was caked with 50 year old grease.

Your story makes me glad I ended up with a B body Dart.....that must be darned tight.

<<<<<UPDATE>>>>> When putting the 67 pump in (or taking out for that matter) rotate the pump 180 so the oil filter is down,toward the front of the motor. There are a few wedge shaped protrusions (see pic) on the face of the pump that hit the frame and if you rotate the pump, the wedges are now sloped at the same angle with the frame rail and that gets you about 1/4 inch more to work with. I was just able to get the pump out but by turning the pump 180, I was able to slide in easily with no interference. Youll have to have the front mount and fuel pump removed to do this.

m6cMYY9XA23O-RSK5xw3c7Q.jpg

-
Back