65 904 shift kit question

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So I ordered the rebuild/shift kit/deep pan package online from Mancini... Specified 1965 trans and they sent me everything for a 72+... I called and they made good on the return/swap for the correct seal package, so I'm good there... They also said the B&M shift kit they sent me would not work and they did not have one for a 65 trans.... (They have been great to deal with over the phone, btw)

Dad always used the TransGo Torque Flite shift kit SK-TF-SC on everymopar trans he rebuilt... but he's not around to ask if it will work on the 65 trans....

I have seen the same Transgo kit listed for 66+ and for 64+.... same kit/part number......

So my question is - will it work in a 65 Trans??? What are other 65 and earlier 904's using for a mild shift kit? We are not looking to build a race trans out of it, just a nice firm street trans behind a mild 318 (340 cam, stock bottom end, heads, and a carter afb)

That's a question I don't know the answer to.
Fishy68 might know that though.

You may just need to go with some internal mods instead of the shift kit.
Like governor spring/weight, regulator pressure and flow mods to separator plate along with clutchpacks and a band upgrade.

............tb is on the right track......i have only done a few old 1s, but they can be made to shift nice.....kim.........

According to Trans-go's website product page all their torqueflite kits except the TF-3 manual shift kit will work in 60 and up aluminum case transmissions. Here's a link to their website page that shows the different kits they have

http://transgoonline.com/products.php

If you just want a mild street and strip kit the TF-2 should do you good. It gives you some options when installing to tailor it to how firm you want it to shift. It's the kit I use most because of it's versatility.

I think it's the parts they give you, and the drilling that is different on the '65 and earlier. I have a similar problem w/my '65. Some one must have removed the accumulator spring with no other changes - because it shifts 2nd like a race car, but everything else is factory... I think I'm going to end up making my own shift kit to correct the 2/3...lol.

I can't provide any info on the B&M kits but the Trans-go TF2 works well in the early pushbutton trannys. The instructions include with the TF2 tell you which parts apply to the older trannys and where there are differences you need to be aware of. Trans-Go is all I use.

-
Back