65 a833 Abody transmission

-

jw97neon

Reaction score
I am thinking about picking up a car that has this complete trans setup in it. it is mated to a 273 now. I have a la 360 I am putting in my car what do I have to do in order to use this trans behind my 360.

Well the flywheel isnt balanced for a 360 and it is probably too small, So i would replace it with the larger 10.5 " which means you need to pretty much replace everything but the 833.

and if the 833 is the trunion type your probably want to replace it also.

Well the flywheel isnt balanced for a 360 and it is probably too small, So i would replace it with the larger 10.5 " which means you need to pretty much replace everything but the 833.

and if the 833 is the trunion type your probably want to replace it also.
o wow... good to know. thanks for the fast reply.

Keep in mind that the tranny possibly has the 3.09 low; Which IMO is very desirable, as it let's you run a 3.23 rear. This gets you a 9.98 starter gear and cruise at 65mph= 2600 with 27s.
To get a 9.98 starter gear with the regular 2.66 box, would require a 3.73 rear. And then you would have to put up with a 3000rpm cruise.
If you had to run 3.23s with the regular box your starter-gear would be 8.59;which sucks with any cam over 220*@.050
I love my 3.09; 6500rpm equals 52plus mph with 27s, and 3.23s
The trunnion D/S takes a licking and wouldn't be the end of the world. To get rid of it requires a swap of the mainshaft and the extension housing.
That tranny is worth some coin, even if you just get it for the 3.09 gearset. At least it would be, for me.

Keep in mind that the tranny possibly has the 3.09 low; Which IMO is very desirable, as it let's you run a 3.23 rear. This gets you a 9.98 starter gear and cruise at 65mph= 2600 with 27s.
To get a 9.98 starter gear with the regular 2.66 box, would require a 3.73 rear. And then you would have to put up with a 3000rpm cruise.
If you had to run 3.23s with the regular box your starter-gear would be 8.59;which sucks with any cam over 220*@.050
I love my 3.09; 6500rpm equals 52plus mph with 27s, and 3.23s
The trunnion D/S takes a licking and wouldn't be the end of the world. To get rid of it requires a swap of the mainshaft and the extension housing.
That tranny is worth some coin, even if you just get it for the 3.09 gearset. At least it would be, for me.

if I bolt it to a 360 do I just need to change the bell housing and flywheel? it really all depends on how much I can get the car for. I just located a 71 Abody trans. i was thinking about maybe buying that one as well. o I am running a 373 gear as well 8.8 axle. do drive line is not a big deal

The 273 flywheel has 4 problems, it is for an internally balanced engine and the 360 is externally balanced. 2. It is probably 9.5 inches which is fine for the little 273. and 3 the bell is cast iron which is heavier than the later bells. and 4 I don't think they made a externally balanced 9.5 inch flywheel.

With 3.73s the starter gear is a non-issue(3.73 x 2.66 = 9.92;perfect for a torquey 360, in an early A). I would go with the 71 stuff;UNLESS it has a 2.47low, close-ratio gearset, and unless it has an O/D. Stay away from that close ratio set unless you are going to be autocrossing on a regular basis. The split advantage, to me, isn't worth the loss of starter gear, on a streeter.And I found the O/D ratios too far apart for spirited street driving.Plus I blew three of them up.Two spit out the O/D gears and on one, I stripped the teeth off the input gear.So Ima gonna stay away from those.
The 71 should have all the stuff to mate to your 360. The flywheel may need to be re-balanced;if it's off an internally balanced engine it can be re-balanced. If it's off a 360 it may already be correct.

aj's right on that gear box , the tail flange is no problem . it can be changed from flat flange to a yoke style and put a u-joint and slider spine in the drive line , like big trucks and front drive 4 wheelers use , and your bell housing and flywheel can be used as well , rebalance for the odd balance 360 crank , and you can get a 10' disc and pressure hat in that small bell housing . if you change to a larger bell housing it hits the floor , your car has a small trans tunnel , but you have not talked rear end yet , that will be a must change , with a good 10' clutch and a 318 bone stock that 7 1/4 would not hold up , broke the housing in half in two places . well if you do a rear end you will be cutting the driveline anyway . my thought is 8 3/4 , 4spd , 360 10'or bigger clutch = a lot of fun

you will need to use a 10.5 clutch conversion with a aluminum bellhousing to use that 360 so that means you need a special torque shaft, adjusting rod which is bent at an angle and bell stud good news brewers sells all that. theres nothing wrong with the ball and trunion it has a 3.09 first which is a blast and its a really strong transmisson.

-
Back