65 Barracuda 187 code!!!

-

duey_roc

Reaction score
Howdie ppl. Well i traded my old Dart Sport Hang Ten for this 65 Barracuda. Ill get everyone up to speed with it. It started out as a straight up trade that i thought i would have the advantage on. Unfortunately... hidden things came out as usual with new car projects. When i got the car, it was running the original 273 but had J heads on it, with a .480 cam :-s It wasn't firing on 2 cylinders so i yanked the heads and found some interesting stuff. I pulled the 273 and i now have a 360 motor in the car. I just got my J heads redone and am waiting on puttung them on till wednesday. Luckily, everything is cool on the car. Nothing is really chopped up, all the interior and trim is there. So now its time to do some work. it has B body leaf springs in it and homemade slapper bars. Sure grip 3.55 gears and the exhaust is a WEIRD *** shoehorn looking thing lol. First step... get the heads on and get her running. After all, she is gonna be a daily driver :burnout: Please ppl help me keep my motivation going and gimme advice!!!!

Some pics of the car a few days ago

Attachments

• 65 barracuda front view.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 65 barracuda rear view.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 360 complete with Holley carb.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Original 8.75 rearend with leaf springs.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,044
So i got busy the past few days and tore the old heads out and put new rebuilt J heads in. I had no compression in 2 cylinders and my machinist and also very good friend told me he is almost positive its sunken valve seats. So i had him machine the J heads and put hardened seats in and the whole works. Heres my progress... Oh and take a look at the pics with the valve tops and the level on them. I was told that if i have sunken valves, the level will not sit level on all valves. It did rock on one valve but very slightly.

Engine shots

Attachments

• 360 original head passenger.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 360 shortblock torn down.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 360 short block torn down driver side.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • original 360 long block.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Original 360 long block front view.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Original 360 long block complete.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,051
  • Original 360 complete driver side view.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • New J heads valve view.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • New J heads.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • 12.17.2013 head teardown.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,048
New heads, and the old heads with level on the valves.

Attachments

• New J heads installed.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 998
  • Passenger cylinder wall view.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Driver side cylinder walls.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Valves with level bad seats.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Old 360 heads with level.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,013
So everything is officially bolted on and ready to go for tomorrow. My fingers are crossed that this will solve my compression issue. The bottom end is stock... Stock rings and bearings, but knock on wood lol.

Welp i got some goodies today from summit racing! Ive decided im going to do a triangulated 4 link system with a rear tub and the ram srt10 rims. Instead of dropping $500 on a premade 4 link setup, im going to build my own. I measured the distance from the top of the axle to the corner of the upper frame rail and the lower ale to where the leaf spring bolts in. I ordered threaded tubes from QA1 that are about 3'' shorter than what i measured so i can have the adjustable rod ends for the pinion angle. Here's my upper rods!:blob:

Attachments

• Upper links.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Upper link size.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Upper link taper.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Upper link threads.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,002
Got more goodies! So the B&M shifter i have in my car now is crap lol. You cant feel when it shifts into a specific gear, the lockout mechanism is worn out, and it feels like butter. Not crisp and clean at all. My good mopar friend from Stockton sold me his Quicksilver with the cable all ready to go! this is the shifter i wanted in the first place. Im going for a semi stock but modified interior. Nothing super insanely different but it will have my touch on it. Here's where its gonna begin!

Attachments

• B&M Quicksilver.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,007
  • B&M Quicksilver underneath.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 978
  • B&M Quicksilver top view.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 994
  • B&M Quicksilver side view.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • B&M Quicksilver new.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 993
So I've got an issue... I have a fully charged battery in my car and all my solenoid does is click. No turn over, starter doesn't crank or anything. The only thing that clicks is what is in the picture. And here's the other thing. When i look for starter solenoids on summit, all i get are solenoids that go directly on the starter. Is this considered something else then? Because this is whats making the clicking noise...:violent2:

Attachments

• Bad starter solenoid.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 934
Make sure you have the correct voltages and grounds on the starter relay. Maybe you have an open or corroded wire. You can find free wiring diagrams on my www.mymopar.com to help you out, I think the wiring diagrams are under tools.

great looking Barracuda, It looks like it needs some help in the spring department with those shackles on there.

That is the starter relay

Yes i did discover that this is the starter relay. It's what is making the clicking, not the solenoid. Could this be bad? a few days ago, it started up and ran. But all of a sudden, its not working after the head swap. The only thing electrical really i did was remove the ground straps and the alternator wires. I checked these are secure.

Could be that the grounds you disconnected my not have good continuity
if the relay is clicking its likely that it working, get someone to turn the ignition
To start and check voltage to ground at the solenoid. If the engine doesn't have a good ground the solenoid will not engage.

Im reading in numerous random forums that if the relay is clicking, its most likely bad... what do you guys think?

I'd say clicking means it is operating ok, but does it have continuity? You'll need a volt meter for that, make sure you have 12v in and when operated you have 12 out.

If the relay is clicking that usually means the contact in it is closing. It goes like this, you turn the key to start that sends voltage to the start relay it closes (click) this in turn sends voltage to the solenoid. The solenoid has one wire
which is the hot it gets its ground from the engine block

Well since i already took the relay out, im gonna go get another one and see what happens. A new relay is $12 whopping bucks lol. Ill get back to everyone later tonight!:coffee2:

Got it! I guess it was a lucky guess. The new starter relay works perfectly. Starter cranked nice and hard. But i wonder what caused it all of a sudden?...:cheers:

Attachments

• New starter relay.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 923
Well it looks like im gonna be pulling the motor here this weekend...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I got the motor started for the first time and for some reason, when you pull #2 and #8 plug wires, the motor doesnt change its pace at all. I know its getting spark because my finger is stil tingling lol. The only other thing i can think of is it has bad piston rings which is causing low or no compression. Im going to confirm this tomorrow and test the compression in the cylinders. Whats a typical 360 compression supposed to be?

you sure you dont have a wiped cam,,valves not opening ? not opening,,no fuel to burn,,,

I changed the cam the second time I tore this motor down lol. It has the same issue with both cams. If the valves aren't opening then I think the weak link would be the lifters because those aren't new either.

-
Back