'65 Barracuda 273 engine install from underneath body

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My '65 FS is all apart and the body is on casters, now in the shop getting body and paint work done. I'm thinking about the best approach to installing the engine with transmission (4-speed) once the car is back in my shop. Since the K frame is out, and everything else, can I install the engine, trans and K frame as an assembly from below? I have a 2 post lift in my shop and I could bring the body down onto the engine/K frame and bolt it up. That would save risking any damage to the paint by installing through the top. Has anyone done this? Is it better/easier? What issues can I expect?

My '65 FS is all apart and the body is on casters, now in the shop getting body and paint work done. I'm thinking about the best approach to installing the engine with transmission (4-speed) once the car is back in my shop. Since the K frame is out, and everything else, can I install the engine, trans and K frame as an assembly from below? I have a 2 post lift in my shop and I could bring the body down onto the engine/K frame and bolt it up. That would save risking any damage to the paint by installing through the top. Has anyone done this? Is it better/easier? What issues can I expect?
That's how they were assembled at the factory. That's how they do it in Grave Yard cars. Engine and trans mounted to K member with suspension.
They have stands to support everything and you would need more than one person to watch, balance things. They also assemble rear diff. and
springs first to distribute the weight before installing the engine.

I've done it . Big block in a-body . It was pie . suggestion : get allthread the same size as k-frame bolts . Cut into pieces long enough to use as guides while lowering body down . Mrs . lowered car while I moved the "K" around . Took about 20 minutes without any drama . Oh , put "K" with motor on a dolly first .

Definitely sounds better than going from the top. I've got dollies from Harbor Freight, 1,000 lb capacity, I'm thinking they might work. I like the tip on the threaded rod for guides. Did you have the suspension parts installed to the K Frame? I'm thinking that may complicate the process.

I installed my first smallblock in the 65 that way. Just bare K-frame without any suspension components installed. I used the engine hoist to lower my car down on to the engine/trans/kframe package. Was super easy. Even easier with a lift I would imagine. And I used a Harbor Freight dolly.

From the bottom is the way to go!
DSC05768.JPG

Definitely sounds better than going from the top. I've got dollies from Harbor Freight, 1,000 lb capacity, I'm thinking they might work. I like the tip on the threaded rod for guides. Did you have the suspension parts installed to the K Frame? I'm thinking that may complicate the process.
The UCA's with ball joints went on beforehand . The LCA's , tie rods , pitman arm , idler arm , steering arm , steering box , sway bar , spindles , mounts , went on the "K". 383 was fully dressed with carb , water pump , fan . Left off the exhaust . Slipped in great . Calm preparation is key . Mrs. Scampman was tremendous help .

Thanks all, for the replies, and the photo, Scampman. I like easy like the factory did! No risk messing up my new engine compartment paint.

Mine went in from the bottom, too. Engine/trans were bolted together and rolled under the car on a pair of HF dollies. Only suggestion I would offer is to consider when to install your exhaust manifolds. I recall I fitted them to the engine from the top, right before I completely dropped the body.

I've done it twice lowering the engine in and about three times from underneath . I would never want to do it the other way again.Especially with headers so easy to lower the car down onto the K-member with everything assembled!

Most def, from the bottom.
I did my Lancer last year, painless, hood never removed.
Jack stands, little dolly and a floor jack.
One man job, just go slow and be careful.
IMG_7515.JPG
IMG_7519.JPG

-
Back