65 Barracuda AWB Funny Car

-
If you have a Facebook page, you should look up and friend Dick Landy's son, Robert. I have him friended. He is a super cool guy and I chat him up all the time. Really down to earth. He will share all kinda pictures with you. Remember, Dick drove that 66 AWB Dart. Might give you some ideas.

My son is visiting for a week, we used up some acetylene.

body shell.jpg

I've been working on this...mostly I hang out at the HAMB and a few other places. Anyways, got the body shell in primer today, hope to put some paint on it in a few days. The frame is build, still working on the motor.

body13.jpg
mockup 08.jpg

On this side of the country we have a similar car but I believe it's a '67. It was owned by a very well known Plymouth dealership at the time , Fred F.Cain . the name of the car was "The Hurricain" and it was an injected 426H . Well the car has been found,restored and running thanks to some very dedicated people . Good luck with your project and please keep us posted . Stay safe , Tom

Thanks Big John. That’s unbelievable that the car got built in that short of time and it was driven to drag week. It’s a long post but a good read, besides what else can you do during lock down.
:rofl:

Hi , jforb , Look on page 10 or 11 and you will find Olds Man 66 Cuda Funnycar Build . It's on the bottom of page 10 or will be pushed to page 11 . That's my car build . If you want to see it I am located in Tucson . Just send me a PM . and we can sent up a date to get together . I have about the same build going as the one you have lined out for yours . Thanks John

View attachment 1715122668

View attachment 1715122673 View attachment 1715122684

I own it currently....looks a little different now....

DSC08580-1.jpg

DSC08578-1.jpg

DSC08579.JPG

DSC08444.JPG

DSC08438.JPG

DSC08445.JPG

I redid a lot of it, but I have two other cars I need ready for next season, so we will see what gets done on this one yet this year...Called my Header guy for some zommies, but he has been busy.

At one time that was what I was thinking for it. I have built 3 sets of headers for customers over the years, it would be easy on this car. Headers by Ed carries all the parts you will need to build a set of zoomies with baffle's it would be sweet . John

Last edited:
Glad to see some posts in the Old Cuda race car pages.
I have been too busy to post any.
I could post this one, my dear friend Tommy at Suffolk Raceway in VA.

Tommy Corbett (10).jpg

That figures.....rolls easy enough....I had the back axle out, so I have a list of changes for that...Have not looked at the front, appreciate it.
Rear has 4 spider gear mopar trac lock with 4:10 richmond gears. I used 4:10 with the 32-inch-tall tires on the street, gives you about 60 mph at 3000 rpm. Has Dutchman axles with 35 splines. Any Questions send me pm with phone# and I will call and talk. John

I've started working on my 65 Barracuda. The plan is to make an Altered Wheelbase early Funny Car, that I can drive on the street. And go pretty quick at the drag strip. Like, high 8s, if all goes well. Motivation is Hot Rod Drag Week, which I've participated in for several years.

The plan for the drivetrain is a blown Hemi, with an automatic trans and Dana 60 rear. It will have a dropped axle up front.

Here's a photoshop by one of the guys on the HAMB. The car will have paint and lettering, and sit up higher than this in the front. And a blower poking out just in front of the windshield.

View attachment 1715120288

The raw material. A nice solid southwest car, that probably should have been restored, but no one else bought it, so I figured I ought to. I took just about everything out of the car, but left the chassis alone. I intend to cut the body off the floor and firewall. There won't be much left of the body, just the roof, quarters, rear panel, and door openings.

View attachment 1715120289

Follow along as I figure out how to make this work. It won't be easy.
Cool Project. Always liked to old school funny cars. Best of luck.

Yeah....Its getting a spool.....but keeping the 4.10 gears.
I have see what a spool will do to a car on the street. A friend had a Vega with one in the rear, coming from a car show he was following me, and I needed to stop for gas, giving a turn signal and turning end to the station he followed with a little speed and his car started to bounce snd jump off the ground in the rear, not a pretty side, scared the hell out of him. We were running about 35 when I slowed and turned .. Just beware of the spool on the street . PS he got ride of the car a few weeks later

Luckily, I have been driving with spools on the street for a long time, and never had an issue that bad. My Cuda is mostly street, and is spooled...Only issue I have is backing the car in with the front turned hard either direction.

What I like, is when it does break traction, its predictable.

This AWB car has 33x22 street tire on it right now, and a totally weird weight distribution and maybe it will be an issue. Was going to borrow my 33x16.5 slicks off my Duster to race it. Don't know, but figured since I was going to race it more than street it, spools are were its at.

20200417_164740.jpg
Back in the mid 70s, my drag car builder wouldn't use a spool for safety reasons. My car once broke a Strange axle on the splined end when I dropped the clutch. The car just lurched forward a little and that was it. I saw a prostock car running a spool break an axle and the other tire pushed the car in a hard left crashing into the gaurd rail.

-
Back