65 Barracuda Brakes... Help

-

Shane65

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum, recently picked up a 65 barracuda. This is my first mopar, looking forward to building it...

Anyway about the brakes...just got the car running this week, but brakes need to be replaced immediately.

Looking for drum to disc conversion kits that people recommend... AlsoI have the small bolt pattern and read that most people swap out the 5x4 for the 5x4.5 when they convert to disc brakes. However I'm on a tight budget and am thinking about only doing the front brakes as disc, and just rebuilding the drums in the back... is there anyway to convert the rear drums to 5x4.5?

You can get some redrilled axles from Dr.Diff and others. They are out there you just have to do some digging. For rear brakes just dig through some junkyards and find an 8 3/4 equipped anything other than an A-body. My rear brakes and backing plates came from a 68 D100 pickup.....

You can get some redrilled axles from Dr.Diff and others. They are out there you just have to do some digging. For rear brakes just dig through some junkyards and find an 8 3/4 equipped anything other than an A-body. My rear brakes and backing plates came from a 68 D100 pickup.....

why anything other than an A-Body?

I found a guy selling a whole A-body rear end set up for a 74 dart, would it work?

You could always leave the rear alone and put the factory disc brakes in the front. Not as many wheel options that way but you wouldn't have to mess with the rear at all. As for finding 4 1/2" rear axle shafts for the early 7 1/4 rear, I haven't heard of any but maybe there are some out there. I don't think I'd put any money in one of those rear ends though. Get an 8 1/4 out of a '73-6 A-Body if you want an easy and relatively strong bolt-in unit with the big pattern. Go with an 8 3/4 if you need the extra strength but it will be more costly.

why anything other than an A-Body?

I found a guy selling a whole A-body rear end set up for a 74 dart, would it work?
Because big bolt A body 8 3/4 are super rare. The later year A bodies had big bolt axles but in an 8 1/4. If you have access to a complete big bolt A body 8 3/4 why would you even start the thread?lol EDIT: What rear axle do you currently have? That is I guess where to start....

Because big bolt A body 8 3/4 are super rare. The later year A bodies had big bolt axles but in an 8 1/4. If you have access to a complete big bolt A body 8 3/4 why would you even start the thread?lol EDIT: What rear axle do you currently have? That is I guess where to start....

well between the time I started the thread and now (a day and a half later) I found a guy selling a 8 3/4 rear end. I wasn't planning on switching out this many parts, but due to the fact that all the brake kits were only for 8 3/4, I figured I'd see if I could find one... That said, it is pricey (over the budget I wanted to spend), but it's super nice, never been used and well built, and would probably be a good long term upgrade considering I eventually would like to drop a bigger motor in. I just need to find out if it will for sure fit. Sounds like it will, but the seller didn't seem to know a whole lot about the early cudas, but mentioned I'd probably need bigger u-bolts, and possibly shorten my driveshaft. Any info would be greatly appreciated...

quoted from seller "8 3/4 A-body rear end, billet axles, hardened 3.73 richmond gear set, sure grip posi-unit, cop brakes w/drums. 489 case w/snubber" Lot invested, never installed. Apparently was going to drop it in his 74 dart, but now is selling the car.

P.S. Mine's a 4 speed factory manual, forgot to mention that...

That would be an awesome upgrade! Definitely worth it if you have a 4 speed and want to have some fun! If it is an A body rear im 99% positive it is a direct bolt in but im not positive if the spring perches are the same width. If you have a 7 1/4 now you will need bigger ubolts and new spring plates or slot the holes in yours.

the rear in that 74 dart is it an 7 1/4 or an 8 1/4 ?? the 8 1/4 would be cheaper then an 8 3/4 and just as good for what your doing,,wil bolt right in and give you the big wheel bolt pattern,,,giving you a bigger selection of rims down the road,,,

I just did the Scarebird drum to disc conversion on my 65 Valiant which should be nearly identical to your Cuda. I have about $500 in the complete job including new steel lines throughout and master cylinder. I was able to use stock steel 14" wheels with small bolt pattern. Mine was very much a budget minded conversion. I have a complete writeup linked in the following thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165237

-
Back