65 Barracuda Casting Numbers

-
Yeah a high compression 273. Great engine
Good for you.
Thanks! Definitely more excited just troubleshooting some lack of power now. Plugs were fouled (black carbon build up) so I’m assuming the carb is running to rich so I’m going to go factory and look at the idle speed and see if it’s where I need to be. Unless anyone else has another avenue of approach I should take. The guy that “rebuilt it” (owner before the last previous I got it from) didn’t bother taking out the spark plugs when he painted it. It had orange paint on the sides of the porcelain. Cleaned them up and gap checked them all good. Just gotta get some dielectric grease before I through the plugs on and adjust the carb

What does the exhaust smell like? Really rich? If not and the car spent some time without really coming up to full temp. Start/stop/start/stop kinda thing, it could have killed the plugs. I would throw a plug in it and see if it fouls it. You could do a whole set, I would, one of the reasons I buy inexpensive plugs.

What does the exhaust smell like? Really rich? If not and the car spent some time without really coming up to full temp. Start/stop/start/stop kinda thing, it could have killed the plugs. I would throw a plug in it and see if it fouls it. You could do a whole set, I would, one of the reasons I buy inexpensive plugs.
Haha so I set the carburetor back to factory (I believe if I remember correctly it was 1.5 out from full in) on the idle set screws. I decided to count the rotations just in case so I could see the difference. Over 4 full rotations out from fully in….it was basically almost 5 rotations….it was running super rich cuda likes it at 1.5 turns and my idle at operating temp is around 800-825 and sounds clean. She also starts up with zero issues currently. I can’t believe that owner had it out that far haha now just have to tackler the oil pan, drain plug, and intake manifold leak and she should run like a champ (slight leaks like a drop every few hours static)

They may have had the transition slot uncovered too much which allows fuel in. So the idle screws don’t seem to effect the idle at all, because it is running off the transition.

They may have had the transition slot uncovered too much which allows fuel in. So the idle screws don’t seem to effect the idle at all, because it is running off the transition.
It definitely affected the idle. I pulled it out to 2.5 full turns and it bogged down to 600ish rpms so it was affecting the idle and now it runs like a champ….for now haha

-
Back