65 Barracuda converting to double master cylinder

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
I would like to convert the single reservoir master cylinder on my 65 Barracuda to a double reservoir. I have read it's fairly easy to do: buy a 67 master cylinder and find a way to pipe the the extra line into the brake line block. Is it really this easy, or am I in for a surprise? The engine is currently out of the car....now is the time.
Thanks for any advice and a parts source.
Pat

I did the same swap on a 65 Fury years ago. The master cylinder bolted right in place, pushrod snapped right in. The existing line from the master to junction block, screwed into the rear port on the new cylinder. Then I unscrewed the rear line from the junction, plugged the port on the junction block, and extended the line with a union, a pre-made brake line and an adapter bushing at the master cylinder front port. Seems to me the whole job cost about $35 including brake fluid, and took about 1 hour (I work pretty slow, and stopped for a beer mid job).

I have not done this job myself but I have heard getting all the right fittings can be a challenge.

You may be able to get the correct distribution block from Fine Lines or The Right Stuff Detailing. They have a variety of different blocks. You may have to settle for an incorrect but applicable unit from a different year car that splits the distribution front to back to use a dual master, but it can be done. Good luck, Geof

can someone post a list of needed items and sources for them? I'm also interested in doing this.

OK, dumb question from an idiot ( me ). I am going to do the same and have seen pics of post 66 brake set-ups and have not seen a metering valve for the rears. Line appear to just go to distribution block without any valve. Did I miss something ?

If you are running disc you will need a proporting valve ie metering block. All drums not really an issue. you are correct!

I used everything off of a 72ish V8 Duster BBP take the whole set up you will like the stopping power of disks with that master cyl.

I made the assumption that we're talking about a drum brake car, and just swapping to a dual master cylinder.
From what I remember, the 65's use a junction block, rather than a proportioning valve. One line in, and three out. Brake bias is determined by wheel cylinder bore.
As for a parts list, if you walked into the store here this morning I would recomend:

Master cylinder - Raybestos MC36221 (from a 67-69 Dart or Cuda)
pre-flared steel line - Papco s340 3/16x40"
3/16 brass union - FMSI 3002 or Weatherhead 302x3
3/16 brass plug - Weatherhead 131x3
3/16 flare nut - Weatherhead 100x3 or FMSI 3000
adapter bushings - FMSI 3230 & 3231

Remove old cylinder.
Benchbleed & install new cylinder.
Install 3230 & 3231 fittings in cylinder ports.
Unthread line that goes to rear brakes from junction, plug the open port with 131x3 plug.
Thread union 3002 onto rear line, then thread s340 line into union.
Bend the new line up to, then thread into front port on master cylinder.
Cut existing fitting off old master cylinder line.
Slide on 3000 flare nut, double flare line.
(Instead of cutting and flaring, you might be able to replace this line, but I don't know what size thread the fitting is at the junction block)
Thread new fitting into rear port on master cylinder.
Bleed brakes.
Live happily ever after.

I made the assumption that we're talking about a drum brake car, and just swapping to a dual master cylinder.
From what I remember, the 65's use a junction block, rather than a proportioning valve. One line in, and three out. Brake bias is determined by wheel cylinder bore.
As for a parts list, if you walked into the store here this morning I would recomend:

Master cylinder - Raybestos MC36221 (from a 67-69 Dart or Cuda)
pre-flared steel line - Papco s340 3/16x40"
3/16 brass union - FMSI 3002 or Weatherhead 302x3
3/16 brass plug - Weatherhead 131x3
3/16 flare nut - Weatherhead 100x3 or FMSI 3000
adapter bushings - FMSI 3230 & 3231

Remove old cylinder.
Benchbleed & install new cylinder.
Install 3230 & 3231 fittings in cylinder ports.
Unthread line that goes to rear brakes from junction, plug the open port with 131x3 plug.
Thread union 3002 onto rear line, then thread s340 line into union.
Bend the new line up to, then thread into front port on master cylinder.
Cut existing fitting off old master cylinder line.
Slide on 3000 flare nut, double flare line.
(Instead of cutting and flaring, you might be able to replace this line, but I don't know what size thread the fitting is at the junction block)
Thread new fitting into rear port on master cylinder.
Bleed brakes.
Live happily ever after.

Thanks for lots of useful information....another question concerning single to dual master cylinder. (drums) I have a 67 Charger parts car. Does anyone know if it would work to install the brake block from that car and use it on my 65 Barracuda when the new dual master cylinder goes in?
Thanks again for the great help.
Pat

It should. Don't see why the distribution block fittings would be any different between A and B bodies. AFAIK differences would be between single and dual MC (extra port), and between drum and disk 1973-up, when the proportioning valve became part of the block (drum and disk different).

Thanks for lots of useful information....another question concerning single to dual master cylinder. (drums) I have a 67 Charger parts car. Does anyone know if it would work to install the brake block from that car and use it on my 65 Barracuda when the new dual master cylinder goes in?
Thanks again for the great help.
Pat

-
Back