65 barracuda deck lid fiberglass fit?

-

65MagnumFish

65MagnumFish
Reaction score
I might be able to purchase a fiberglass deck lid on the cheap. Only issue is the customer doesn’t know if it was off a 66 or 65 barracuda. I’m figuring a 66 because the bumper the is selling is a 66. Are they the same? From what I searched they seem to interchange? Just don’t want to drive 2 hours for something that won’t fit. I’m also interested on feedback on how to mount it to the car if it works out? Thanks.

64-66 trunk lid should be the same with some minor prop rod mounting differences. Never had a fiberglass trunk lid, I always thought that was taking weight off the wrong end.

I think these are usually "pin on" pieces though like from Glasstek. So the mechanism wouldn't matter. Might be different.

I think these are usually "pin on" pieces though like from Glasstek. So the mechanism wouldn't matter. Might be different.
Nice! Thanks for the info on the fit. I think I will try to make something work. I’ll prolly try to fab something up. I have 2 metal deck lids but they are gone. Wish someone had those being reproduced. It’s the last major body part I need. Side note: I installed the lower quarters from laysons today. There awesome! Just have to get creative with the inner lower quarters. They are a mess. Thanks everyone.

The shape of the lid is the same for '64-6, as are the hinges. As 66fs mentioned, the way it's held open could be different. '64 used a ratchet type prop, early '65 the same, and late '65 and '66 used the "speargun". Unless the fiberglass one comes with some sort of reinforcement for the hinge and latch striker area, using pins might be the better option. Let us know how it turns out.

The shape of the lid is the same for '64-6, as are the hinges. As 66fs mentioned, the way it's held open could be different. '64 used a ratchet type prop, early '65 the same, and late '65 and '66 used the "speargun". Unless the fiberglass one comes with some sort of reinforcement for the hinge and latch striker area, using pins might be the better option. Let us know how it turns out.
You bet. I’m hoping to get the lid soon and see what I have to work with. Thanks for the info.

Be prepared to do some sanding & grinding to get it to line up properly if the PO hasn't already done it. Most fiberglass parts are not known for the exact dimensions & fitment.

Be prepared to do some sanding & grinding to get it to line up properly if the PO hasn't already done it. Most fiberglass parts are not known for the exact dimensions & fitment.
Amen. I got a cowl hood for a square body Chevy from a buddy he wanted me to paint. I wouldn’t do it until I put some major shaving and filler work. When it was done it was straighter then a steel piece. I hope I can get it to attach without pins.

-
Back