65 Barracuda fuel line relocation

-

stackattack

Reaction score
I have a fuel line I'm thinking about relocating. Currently it goes over the headers and gets
hot creating some bubbling in my fuel filter (potential for vapor lock). I'm no expert with fuel lines but is there any reason this would be a bad idea? Or any reason I can't just cut the hard line and re-attach a flexible hose back on it going up to the fuel filter? Photos are how it is now and tried to show what I am thinking of doing....

20211103_180634.jpg
20211103_180628.jpg

I take it you have an electric fuel pump.
I ran mine up the firewall,straight up from the frame.

How about up the front of the engine like it was originally. BTW get ride of that rubber fuel line, your asking for trouble. 65'

run it from motor mounted pump up the passenger side of the timing cover then straight over to the carb with a filter somewhere vertically. only place you should have rubber is from the frame across to the pump on the motor. you cant have a rigid fuel line from the frame to the rocking motor, it will break eventually. I fyou have an electric pump, rigid to the same location as the old pump, rubber crossover and then rigid again. IIRC less than 6" of rubber is NHRA legal or something like that (someone can tell us here)

There is a union along the passenger-side frame rail just before that last piece of rigid line. I think I will bend a rigid new line from there up the passenger side of timing cover and into fuel filter. More like this photo...
And yes i should have said - this is a 360 swap with electric pump..
Screenshot_20211103-202657_Brave.jpg

There is a union along the passenger-side frame rail just before that last piece of rigid line. I think I will bend a rigid new line from there up the passenger side of timing cover and into fuel filter. More like this photo...
View attachment 1715815005
It would be a cleaner look this way too I think. If that matters to you.

View attachment 1715815005
That's how you should route it. Right there.

Well fix one, find another. I re-located that line on the carb and it looks much better now up front. In further look under the car I found another problem at the rear end. :BangHead:

With the add of the electric fuel pump and sender, there's a vent line that comes off the sender (1/4" nipple on sender). That line is run pretty sloppily over the rear end, around the rear shock, and up to the filler vent tube next to the filler neck. In my '65 service manual, this was just a "free air" vent that connected to nothing and didn't attach to that sender return in '65. (no electric fuel pump originally, obviously). The picture shows the original vent tube that is now attached to the electric pump sender at the tank inlet, for reference.

My question is - is that right? Should that vent line from the sender attach to that vent tube next to the filler neck? And if so, does it matter how it's run? I think the previous owner put it into the hook on the rear end (which is for the hard brake line only, not an additional rubber fuel hose). There is a small fuel leak there in that line because of that so i am going to replace it and just looking for any tips/info...

Gas_tank_vent.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back