' 65 barracuda headliner instalation questions????

-

65barracudadude

Reaction score
Hello all, I just got my new headliner shipped to me today. I got a bunch of universal insulation shipped the other day. I got enough to do my whole car. It is some good stuff. A lot better than what was used from the factory. I'm going to use it on the floor under the carpet as well as the roof underneath the headliner. So I'm preatty sure I have all of the materials needed to do this. My questions are : Do I need to take out my windshield and rear window?? And can I use the original bows that are already there? They seem to be in good condition. And I got some adhesive insulation tape and the spray on adhesive glue. Will that be suitable??? Basically I'm looking for a clear run down on the installation of my headliner. A "play by play" if you will. If someone could do this for me It would be real helpful. This is my first attempt at installing my own headliner and I dont want to F it up. Thanks.

I did mine with the glass out and side window channels off.I dont think you
can get a good stretch on it with the glass in,the headliner is pulled back on those window jambs.Glass seals then installed over it.

Reuse your original bows,straighten if need.And make sure you have the 2
wires that hook on the rear one.I lost one and you have to have it when the liners stretched.

I shortened a few of the bows so they would fit right but if you marked there
position when they came out you should be ok.

I used household carpet padding,cut and glued to the roof.

If you have a sunny day its best to leave the liner in it,loosens it up.If not stretch it out and leave out of the box for a few days,they really pack them in there.

The glue we used on the ends was for viynl roofs,you want something strong!Glue the front ,rear and sides.

Then alot of stretching and trimming.I had no interior in the car and that
makes it alot easier as well.It gets tricky on the b pillars,i made new templates for behind the liner,that cardboard like stuff,the liner needed
glued to this.Carefully,you dont want it coming through the perforations.

Access to a steamer when your all done is a plus,nothing else some good hot days will usually shrink it up some.Good luck!

Thank you. Thats pretty informative. A steamer??? I have one that I use for taking tops off of acoustic guitars. Would that work?? It's kind of like a espresso maker steamer. Anyway, thanks.

IMPORTANT!! Make sure the bows go in the exact spot they came out of! They are each a dfferent length.

Dave

i did mine on a hot day. i put it all in and stretched it pretty good. then let it sit and went back to stretch the spots that needed a little more. i did it with the windows in. it wasnt fun but it looked great when i was done.

A hair dryer would do the same job as a steamer on any wrinkles around the pillars. We did the one in my 66 with the windows in and all of the headliner trim off. Good luck, Geof

Upholstery guys have hand tools to use when attaching the headlinner to those cleats hidden under the window gaskets. You could make your self some hook like tool. If you're like most do it yourselfers you'll never want to do another umbrella type headlinner install in this life.
The best advise I can offer is be sure to cover the rear seat anchors and such . Protect those knees :)

-
Back