65 Barracuda newbie

-

AMill

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently working on swapping the 65 drivetrain out of my Barracuda, doing a hot rod of sorts until I have the skill and money to potentially rebuild the 273 and restore the car to numbers matching. But I am having a problem, probably because I'm inexperienced. The gist of it is that I cannot figure out how to remove the shift link cables from the 65 A904 trans. Has anyone done it? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey all,

I am currently working on swapping the 65 drivetrain out of my Barracuda, doing a hot rod of sorts until I have the skill and money to potentially rebuild the 273 and restore the car to numbers matching. But I am having a problem, probably because I'm inexperienced. The gist of it is that I cannot figure out how to remove the shift link cables from the 65 A904 trans. Has anyone done it? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

"The removal and installation procedures for the gear selector cable at the transmission are the same as those followed with push button cables, but the adjustment procedure is different. To make this adjustment, proceed as follows:
1. Have an assistant hold the selector lever firmly in the "1" (Low) position.
2. Hold the control cable centered in its bore in the transmission case, and pull outward on the cable with about two pounds of force to bottom the manual lever in the "Low" detent.
3. While maintaining this pull on the cable, rotate the adjustment wheel clockwise until it just contacts the case squarely. 4. Turn the wheel counterclockwise just enough to make the nearest hole in the wheel line up with the screw hole in the case."

Mopar Push-button transmission tech tips

• Mopar transmission cable removal and maintenance tips: There is a hairpin clip that retains the shift cable, and the park cable. You can stick a screwdriver in the shift cable hole where the adjuster is, to release the hairpin on the cable end. Last resort is to remove the drain pan to release. It is easily seen then. Same thing on the park cable. There is a socket head hex screw in the bottom of the park cable housing. Remove that screw/plug, and insert a screwdriver. You kind of use the screwdriver as a lever on the shift cable once inserted in the hole. On the park cable, use a small pocket screwdriver to push up the hairpin retainer end. -- Jimmy P.
  • It is tempting to remove the PARK lock housing without removing the cable first. But slow down: use extreme caution when removing this piece. There is a spring that attaches the cable adapter to the dog in the transmission that is virtually impossible to disconnect when removing the housing with the cable in place. The gaskets are only $4 but the springs are expensive and while they can be re-wound and re-installed, it is definitely the hard way to do the job. It is really tempting to just pull those 5 bolts out but if you plan to reuse the parts take your time.
    Patience is the only way to get the cable loose without inflicting damage: soak the pinch bolt with your favorite penetrating oil for as long as it takes to get it to move back and forth in the housing. Too much or too forceful tapping will peen the end of the pinch bolt over so easy does it...a nice plastic, copper or lead mallet or piece of hardwood works well. Once the pinch bolt is sliding freely, then start gently twisting the cable ferrule in the housing.
    Southern or gently used cars usually come apart easily but those of us who live in the snow belt have gotten used to allowing plenty of time for this.

Welcome. Really like the 65. Restoring a 65 formula s myself.

-
Back