65 Barracuda #'s car question

-

swinginmy73

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 65 Barracuda this afternoon, the guy says it's a #'s matching /6 car w/ 4spd and 8 3/4 rear. My question is simple,I think, is this combo possible for a #'s car? suppose to have 60,000 orig miles

Thanks for the Help

Thanks this guy wants 3995 for it because its an all original #s matching car!

Should be a pretty decent looking car to bring that kind of money. I have seen V8 ones really clean sell for 7 grand.

As Chryslerfat said, the slant and 4 speed was possible in an early A Body. An 8.75 was possible in a late 65 but not likely with the slant 4 speed. I parted out a 7/23/65 build 65 Dart GT with a 273/235 4 speed combination that had a 65 date coded 8.75 in it.

There were no "matching numbers" until about 68 or so. If the "numbers" are important to you, the closest you can come is the build date of the different components which should be a month (or maybe more) before the actual build date of the car (which is on the fender tag).

Hope this helps a little.

It does help quite a bit thanks. The numbers dont really matter to me I am not too familiar with Barracudas Id like to have the car but the guy is not willing to budge on the price because its a #'s matching car even when the ad says o.b.o. and the rear end he agreed did not come with the car but was installed during a project build up.

Ask him to show you the matching VIN numbers on the motor and transmission - ain't gonna happen. Maybe you can use that as a bargaining tool.

All the advise you are getting is correct. The motor will have casting numbers that cover a longer range of time that they were used on cars. There were no VIN's stamped on the earlier engines. Th price being too high or too low really depends on whether you want to pay that much. If it is a complete car that you are going to work on to make into a nice driver and you have all the parts, it needs little or no body work, runs and drives, the $3995 may be a decent price if you can get out and enjoy your investment in a car you really like. If you are planning to toss some money around with the expectation of making some money when you sell it, that is not likely to happen.
If you look at less expensive ones that are going to require searching for parts, redoing things, rebuilding engines/trans, body work, and consider the amount of time it takes to do all that, the one you are looking at still sounds like a decent deal. However, if you want to get one that you are going to build yourself, this is a mute point.

Simply put: If you like it, want it, have the money for it (and you aren't depriving your family to do so) then I'd say go for it. They are NOT making any more of them!

Luckily, I learned long ago " Don't buy it less you like it,Don't buy it cause you think it's a gold mine" I have been looking around for a nice driver recently. I am also looking at a Hemi orange w/ white int 66 Dart gt 360 4 spd car thats a little more money but I don't have to get it to paint or anything major i can tinker on it while I enjoy it.

-
Back