65 barracuda tire and wheel size

-

Frank Dinatally

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have just purchased a 65 barracuda and will be making a tire size change. I intend to go to 17” wheels on all 4 corners. On the rear I am wondering what size will fit as wide as can be . With what backspace on wheels also. Right now it has BFG 215/70r/14 on all corners. Any info will be really be appreciated

If you can move the springs inboard a 275 40r17 will fit. Rear rims are +24mm with a 5.95 back space 17 X 9, and front 17 X 8 with 225 45 17's on them, I am also using an a body 8 3/4 with Yukon axels with the 4.5 pattern as these axels affect the offset.

Thank you

great answer but further then I wanted go . Just wondered what would work in a stock confIguration. I am still waiting for the car to get here and finding out most carrier companies lie through their teeth

You might want to find out what widths and backspace are available for 5 on 4 17" wheels and determine tire width based on the very limited wheel availablity.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone is making 17"'s for the 5 on 4 bolt pattern. Coy's use to make 17's but they discontinued them.
Are you going to switch it up to the 4.5 pattern.

You can still get 5 on 4s on ebay in 17. IIRC 2 places make blank rims and can drill them. 17's on a 65 take a delicate touch...

Can you post links for these wheels? Thanks!

I was just looking at a 65 Barracuda in Houston over Christmas and checking out his wheels. He had Coys 17s he had bought a few years ago. He had 235R50-17 Fortier tires on the back and 195R50-17 Fortier on the front. He said his tire shop (friends of his) mounted tires until there were clearance issues then dropped back a size

I'm not sure anyone is making 17"'s for the 5 on 4 bolt pattern. Coy's use to make 17's but they discontinued them.
Are you going to switch it up to the 4.5 pattern.

Hi Keith
I had decided to do the 4.5 pattern with 4 wheel disc brakes. The motor goes in this week. New trans also and new 8.75 rear. I would like to go 17 inch wheels but still not sure of size of tires. Any good suggestions?

Here is a recent pic,
028B3BED-3122-474F-96FE-2F685A6744D1.jpeg

Hi Keith
I like the wheels on your barracuda. What are they? I know I am definitely going with 17s but the monkey wrench will be when I lower it a few inches. How hard was it to move rear springs in?I have set of riddler 17x8 on my Plymouth fury and tried one on th rear and they would have rubbed. Colors as for now MIGHT be a metallic bronze with root beer accents and espresso interior

I don't know about all them ghetto wheels, but I can tell you what fit and how on the back of my 65 Valiant several years ago. I had 28-11.50-15 MT ET Streets on it. I used the MP offset spring hanger and shackle kit and also rolled the outer lip of the wheel house. I had the 002 and 003 SS springs on it. They fit really good. Only time I got any scrubbing at all was when we had a trunk full of Kroger and my son was in the back seat. Even then only very slightly.

I bought these rims from American muscle, rears are 17 x 9 with 5.95 back space with 275 40 r17's, fronts are 17 x 8 running 225 45r17's with 10"spindles and disc brakes. I lowered the car an inch from stock height. I am running big block torsion bars and just turned down the adjustment bolts until I got the desired ride height.

Here is a link to moving in the springs. I cut the inner side of the frame only.

Move Your Springs

I'm running 245/45/17 on the rear and 225/45/17 on the front of my 66 barracuda. With the stock spring location the rears are tight, but no rubbing. Converted to 5x4.5 lug pattern with 73 dart front discs and an 8.25 rear axle.
IMG_20190828_181829723.jpg
IMG_20190901_143910092.jpg

Hi I have 17x4.5 8 inch wheels on my 65 and not exactly sure at this time of tire size. My car is at body shop right now but I can get tire size when I get down this week. They are made by riddler

-
Back