65 Barracuda with factory 318??

-
Reaction score
I have spoken to a guy who tells me he has a 1965 Barracuda with an original 318 engine in it. He says it was his father's car and was ordered from the factory that way, with a 4-speed on the floor no less.

Does anyone know if this was in fact a possiblity to order the 65 Barracuda with this engine? I have never seen, heard of, or read about any first generation Barracudas being available from the factory with a special order 318.

If it is possible, how would I distinguish it from a 273 (such as on my 66 Barracuda)? Please help! :banghead:

I think the 65 318 would have been a poly 318, easy to distinguish from a 273. Valve covers are way different, scalloped on the bottom edge if I remember right. I would bet it is a 273.

66dartman...I would tend to agree that it is a 273, but this guy swears it was specially ordered. Do you think the 318 is even a possibility? I know that cars in those days could be ordered any number of ways, but this one is a mystery to me.

Nope the 318 built in 1965 polysphere (A) engine wouldnt fit. Thats why they made the 273 (LA) engine for the early A bodies in 1964. The displacment is stamped into the front of the block right there for god and everybody to see. If it says 318, it is not original. LA 318 is 1968 and up. First A body 318 was also in 68.

C130...You could get an LA318 in '67,but it wasn't in an A-Body 'til '68. They came in B body's though.

Nevertheless, if that '65 has a 318,it is a swap-in.

Thank you all for the confirmation. It is good people like yourselves that makes A-bodies the best Mopar site around! I can't wait to say "I told you so". :bootysha:

I`ve heard similar stories like yours and 9 out 10 ,the engine ends up being a 273 or a later 318. I guess the only other thing would be a warranty replacement and a 273 wasn`t available? The car could have been special ordered because his father wanted a certain color or option, I wouldn`t base too much on that alone. My father special ordered nearly every car he ever owned, I guess he just didn`t like what they had on the lot at the time.

Warranty replacement is a possibility,but it would still be a later-than-'65 block as the LA318 just was not available in '65. Special ordering for paint,options,etc. is again possible,but not for the LA 318, which was simply not available in 1965,and like a previous poster replied,the A block(so-called "wide block") 318 was too wide to fit the small, early a-body engine bay.

So,without seeing the car,my assumption would be that it is a swap-in, or it's a 273,possibly with incorrect letter stampings on the block ID pad .

As an aside, my '67 Dart has "C318" stamped on the block ID pad,but the block casting number ends in "273",and, when I recently re-ringed the engine, I installed 3-5/8" ,273-bore rings ,which is what it is....a '67 273.

This guy advertised the car for sale, and I quote "1965 Plymouth Barracuda fast back, 318 four speed, all factory, nice car..." I guess it would be pretty rare if actually existed. If appears he was given some bad information.

66Barracuda4spd said:
This guy advertised the car for sale, and I quote "1965 Plymouth Barracuda fast back, 318 four speed, all factory, nice car..." I guess it would be pretty rare if actually existed. If appears he was given some bad information.

if the car is near you, bring a mechanics mirror,
and look at the casting numbers on the engine's side.

It is possible that the engine was replaced with a 318,
later in its life. {Thats what I did in my 64 Valiant ;)}

http://www.mymopar.com/enginecastnumb.htm

2465330 273 1964-66 LA
2536130 273 1965 LA

Cavemanmoron...Thanks for the link. I live in Boise, Idaho. Unfortunately, the car is about 3 hours away. This is not added incentive since I can't really put faith in anything the owner has told me about the car. By the way...sweet Signet you have there! :thumbup:

-
Back