65 b'cuda windshield install--help!

-

JACOBI

Reaction score
Dear all: My 65 barracuda windshield and rear window has been replaced and PARTIALLY secured (new Precision rubber surrounds). The specialty help I had is unavailable. I know there is something further I need to insert to complete the installation to be road safe. I don't know what to call the part in order to order it. It is some sort of retaining hardware. Can anyone advise on next steps and proper terminology when ordering? Many thanks, J

Yeah. The chevy truck strip is always offered. The original Mopar piece had sort of a concave top instead of the chrome chevy strips rounded top. Mount rubber seal onto frame, them work glass around under the lip then push the lock strip in and it'll stay and seal. GOJO smooth helps immensely as a lube and cleans up easily.

I used that lock strip on my '65. It is easy to install. These windshields are quite easy to install. After paying $125 to have a pro remove the windshield, I installed both the windshield and rear glass by myself.

I'm going to install my windshield now that I've cleaned, prepped and painted around it.

I'm thinking I need 1-2 ppl to help me, thoughts?

I'm also thinking I will add a windshield sealant around the a pillars to prevent future rust again, thoughts?

And should I install the gasket to the window then in place, or install it to the pinch weld and add the window?

Thanks

Riograndman,
The pro that removed my windshield said he doesn't use a sealant on these older cars unless the surround is rusted and, that most professionals don't either. So I didn't use a sealant. I have no leaks. If you don't have one of those hard plastic sticks, you can buy a set of them from Harbor Freight. They come in handy for all kinds of stuff. Install the rubber taping it to the opening as needed to hold it in place. Then set the glass in the bottom of the seal and work the glass, into the seal all the way around the opening, using the plastic stick until the seal has no wrinkles. Install the lock strip, in the same manner, starting at the center of the bottom of the opening. The lock strip will be too long so don't trim the strip until you get back to the starting point. Try not to use a lubricant when installing the strip (it will discolor the strip). Then install the clip to cover the seam in the strip. Being patient is the key to a good installation!

-
Back