65 Cuda Auto Transmission

-

Kenneth

Reaction score
What is the best way to unhook the cables to remove the transmission in a 1965 barracuda? Any help I would greatly appreciate Thank you.

Get the car from the car from the ground, take off the screw that holds the cable towards the transmissionand get a screwdriver and un-hoc the cable.

Be safe and use scotches on your tires and jack stands under the front frame on both sides and I would leave the floor jack under you K frame.
You are most likely doing this ,but I just had to say to be sure.
Is this a bush button auto trans ?

Be safe and use scotches on your tires and jack stands under the front frame on both sides and I would leave the floor jack under you K frame.
You are most likely doing this ,but I just had to say to be sure.
Is this a bush button auto trans ?
No it is a floor shift.

Once your car is properly and safely supported:
For the Park Cable loosen the clamp bolt on the park brake actuator cover. There is a plug on the bottom of the cover which needs to be removed. You can then insert a small screwdriver int the hole and push the end of the lock spring to one side of the cable releasing it, allowing the cable and housing to be pulled free.

For the gear selector, remove the bolt from the adjusting wheel, the cable housing can be pulled back so that a screwdriver can be inserted (you may need to back the adjusting wheel off a bit to allow a proper angle) and push the retaining spring to one side of the cable releasing it, allowing the cable and housing to be pulled free.

When I took my transmission out, I found it a lot easier to remove the console and take the cables off the shifter, push the cables out through the floor, and remove with the transmission.

-
Back