65 cuda not staying running

-

overhaller

Reaction score
hello . my cuda will not stay running . i.m getting fuel and spark . it will run for 3 to 5 seconds the shut off , its a 170 cid with a holley 1bbl carb . today it backfired through the exhaust . . can anyone help me . thank you in advance

i would say a float is stuck, low fuel pressure, ballast resistor. you will get a few more thoughts

guy i got the cuda from broke a screw off for the float bowl so i drilled and tapped it . possibly a new carb in its future .

First, make sure it is not just firing while you are cranking the starter and dies when you let off. You won't hurt the starter by holding in on for 10 sec to test. If that is the case, your ballast resistor is broken. Common problem. It is the white ceramic part on the firewall near the brakes. Cheap and simple to replace.

If it runs for >5 seconds on the ignition and then sputters and dies, that indicates the spark is working and you have a fuel problem. Could be either too much or not enough. Will it run if you hold the throttle open, but die when you try to idle? When starting my 273 engine recently, it would idle ~30 sec, then die. I found the float tang was bent in the new carb so it was overflowing the bowl and making it go rich. If I had a helper, they probably would have seen black smoke out the tailpipe then. Yours could also be lean. Unscrew the inlet to the carb and check the rubber needle float (don't drop it) and fitting. There might be debris clogging the inlet limiting flow (lean), or keeping the needle from seating (rich) or the the rubber on the needle tip may be old (rich).

sometimes it runs while still cranking it and some after i let go of the key . i will get a ballist resistor in the morning and try it . thank you for the help you guys

sometimes it runs while still cranking it and some after i let go of the key . i will get a ballist resistor in the morning and try it . thank you for the help you guys

Did that fix it? If not try a little dribble of gas or a shot a ether into the carb not much just a little as it starts to die if it perks back up check the fuel filter. My car often makes the symptoms of a bad ballist when its just the fuel filter clogged.

I had to order the resistor . I tried the gas and either . I pulled the fuel line off and cranked it over and fuel did come out so I am waiting for my part .

-
Back