65 cuda rear top rails..Help

-

Carpe Diem

Reaction score
I have a 1965 cuda I need help putting her back together, my dad took her apart for paint and sadly he passed away and I don't know how to put the trim back on. It is the long stainless rails next to the rear window that run along the fender line. How do you put these rails securely on, do the need a rubber gasket....if so where can I find them and what are they called.

Sorry to hear about your dad, I bet he's watchin' you with a smile. If you're talking about the moldings that ride along the top of the quarter panels leading up to the tailpipe, I recall they just pop out with a plastic knife. So they should have an arrow-shaped metal clip attached to the bottom of the molding. You just line up the clips with the holes in the quarter, a light rap with your fist, and they're in. Hopefully he left the clips attached to the molding.

x2. I will see if I can load a pic for you since mine are off....

These guys are correct but I have seen some with a stud and nut on the very rear hole and the others with clips.

Here ya go. Remember the one clip that is threaded! Mine were the second to last on each side...weird.

Anything else?

Randy

Attachments

• Drivers Qtr Pnl Trim.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Drivers Qtr Pnl Trim 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 84
be careful when u put the end in 2 the top of ur
taillights.
good luck take ur time u will do fine.

Thank you all for the advice and help, is there a rubber gasket that keeps water out? I'm sure my dad is watching over me with a smile he was a total gear head and we were going to finish my cuda together.

You need some dum dum to seal around the holes, and it is best to slide the trim onto the tail light and then install the light and trim at the same time. And DON"T just try to pop the trim down with your hand, you need to use a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze the clips together as you go.

-
Back