65 dart 273, No fuel from pump to carb!

-

Keezyus

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 65 dart 273 4 barrel with a Edelbrock 1901 on it. Did a reseal all around the engine and put a new fuel pump on it aswell. Have the pump in correctly because when I take the lines off, I get sucking and blowing on either end of the inlet and outlet fittings. Question is, why am I not getting any fuel to the carb from the pump? Won’t start because of no fuel. Getting spark so only thing is this. Put a new inline fuel filter between the two on the line and I have it in correctly with the inlet, away from the carb side. Please let me know if you have any ideas!

IMG_2472.jpeg

How old is the fuel line at the tank?
Have you tried filling the bowl in the carb?
Engine bay looks nice.

Did it run before the work?

Get a suitable container for gas

Remove the hose from the fuel filter to the carb.

Put it in the container and crank the engine.

You should get a considerable amount of fuel in a few seconds of cranking

There is a ready like this in the FSM

Do you have fuel getting to the pump? Is there any blockage, or kinks in the line from the tank to the pump?
It takes a while for an empty line to get fuel sucked all the way up to the engine, so don't expect immediate success.
On top of the carb, on each side of the air horn are rectangular-ish openings- these are your bowl vents. Using a squirt bottle, fill the float bowls through these vents. Then start your engine normally. Barring any restrictions in your fuel supply line, your fuel pump should have fuel before your fuel bowls run out of fuel. If it dies, fill them again. You should not have to do it a third time; if you do, you have restrictions or blockages in your supply line- kinks, dirt, bad rubber lines, blocked fuel pickup sock, etc. Time to get dirty and find out why you're not getting flow to the pump.

To add to Dana's post..

1. Get a gas can , fill it and get a length of rubber fuel hose.

2. Disconnect the fuel line coming from the tank to the fuel pump and attach the rubber hose from the gas container to the fuel pump instead.

3. This determines if the tank or the fuel line from the tank is your problem.

How old is the fuel line at the tank?
Have you tried filling the bowl in the carb?
Engine bay looks nice.
The line has been the one my grandfather and I installed in 09. I’m new to owning it fully since 2020. I’m not too sure how to fill the bowl. Thank you for the compliment my man!

I’ll be trying this tomorrow afternoon. Appreciate it. Will update either tomorrow or the next day

Remove carb. Turn upside down. Such on fuel inlet. You should be able to suck air. If you cannot suck air, it means the needle & seats are jammed closed for some reason. Try hitting that area with a hammer handle. If still no good, remove carb top & investigate.

I just noticed you have a clear fuel filter.

Screenshot_20240130-211707.png

(Others will chime in on the down sides to the clear filter)

BUT...
Do you see fuel in the filter?

I just noticed you have a clear fuel filter.

View attachment 1716199870
(Others will chime in on the down sides to the clear filter)

BUT...
Do you see fuel in the filter?
It’s not a clear one. It’s a metal one. Looks like a clear one due to the blurry photo. There’s no fuel in the lines from the pump to the carb and none from the tank to the pump. Either not primed or something in the line from tank or pump is clogged. I’m trying a gas can from the can to the pump and see if that works tomorrow before taking the line off the tank.

Remove the gas cap. Get your shop air hose and put your air blower nozzle on it. Now take a shop rag and seal around the air blower best you can going into the fuel filler. GENTLY blow some air into the tank a few times while someone spins the engine.

Remove the gas cap. Get your shop air hose and put your air blower nozzle on it. Now take a shop rag and seal around the air blower best you can going into the fuel filler. GENTLY blow some air into the tank a few times while someone spins the engine.
That sounds promising haha. I was wondering if the fuel pumps on these were strong enough to start and suction and from the looks of it looking on the internet, I’m seeing they do not create much suction while empty. I’m going to be trying this method before I try the gas can method of hooking the line from gas can to fuel pump. I’ll update yall tomorrow

It takes a while for an empty line to get fuel sucked all the way up to the engine, so don't expect immediate success..

This! How long did you crank the motor before giving up? If the fuel line is empty (and it will be if the car sits for a while), it will take a long time to get fuel to the carb. I'll probably get yelled at for saying this, but a couple of squirts of starting fluid into the primary throttle bores will get the motor running, and that will fill the fuel line quicker than anything. Other than getting an electric fuel pump, that is.

This! How long did you crank the motor before giving up? If the fuel line is empty (and it will be if the car sits for a while), it will take a long time to get fuel to the carb. I'll probably get yelled at for saying this, but a couple of squirts of starting fluid into the primary throttle bores will get the motor running, and that will fill the fuel line quicker than anything. Other than getting an electric fuel pump, that is.
I’ve done it at least a dozen times a few seconds each. I’m just getting no fuel to any of the lines or fuel pump. None in the fuel filter either

I’ve done it at least a dozen times a few seconds each. I’m just getting no fuel to any of the lines or fuel pump. None in the fuel filter either
When you disconnect the fuel line from the tank and replace it with the rubber line into your gas container, pour a little gas into the carb, give it a second or two to vaporize, then try to start. If still no start, bad fuel pump or fuel pump is installed incorrectly and fuel pump actuating arm is not riding on cam eccentric.

can hookup an electric pump to line off man fuel pump, and suck gas up through it. between carb and pump., i've done that before, it works

-
Back