65 dart 273, No fuel from pump to carb!

-
When you hit the throttle, are you getting any fuel from the pump nozzle ? If the carb has been sitting for awhile, it can become clogged with old fuel. Simply remove it, and blow it out with compressed air, and a tiny drill bit or wire.

In regards to the fuel pump, you wouldn't be the first person to get a bad "new" pump.

View attachment 1716200779
I was just testing it and when I manually pull the throttle, I do see fuel squirting so good sign.
When you hit the throttle, are you getting any fuel from the pump nozzle ? If the carb has been sitting for awhile, it can become clogged with old fuel. Simply remove it, and blow it out with compressed air, and a tiny drill bit or wire.

In regards to the fuel pump, you wouldn't be the first person to get a bad "new" pump.

View attachment 1716200779
so good news, I took the like off the fuel filter and now am getting fuel in the line. New thing, I got fuel squirting into the carb when I manually pull the throttle. At one point it had on rotation where it sounded like it would start and then I got smoke coming out and of the carb. Fuel squirted out the top when it did this. Too much fuel? My fault probably?

IMG_2526.jpeg

IMG_2523.jpeg

Sounds like you are getting closer.
What's the condition of your fuel filter ?
They are cheap, just put a new Wix filter on.

It's really not too hard to diagnose a fuel delivery issue. Just sayin' It's a pretty simple system especially the early cars.

Sounds like you are getting closer.
What's the condition of your fuel filter ?
They are cheap, just put a new Wix filter on.
It’s new as well from spectre. I don’t mind getting a new one as this one seems large sitting on top. I’ll go get a new one tomorrow and update when it sits over night and I put a little fuel in the top end. Appreciate your help so far

A back fire suggests the engine is firing at the wrong time.

You resealed the engine. I'm assuming you removed the distributor.

It can go back in correct or 180deg out.

Also the plugs I assume you pulled the plug wires off the plugs or dist cap

The rotation is clockwise for SB cou ter clockwise for BB.

Be sure the firing order is correct.

I don't understand. Did you not say that you are now getting fuel in the line? Ok, are you getting fuel through the filter? Why not check that before buying a new filter?

And did you not fill the carbs float bowls with gas and it still would not start? Sounds to me like lack of fuel is not the problem. More like no spark or spark, but not at the right time.

:wtf:

I don't understand. Did you not say that you are now getting fuel in the line? Ok, are you getting fuel through the filter? Why not check that before buying a new filter?

And did you not fill the carbs float bowls with gas and it still would not start? Sounds to me like lack of fuel is not the problem. More like no spark or spark, but not at the right time.

I think fuels going through the filter because it’s in the lines. I’m thinking it’s a timing issue now because of the backfire. Would smoke from the carb and fuel squirting for it be caused by a timing issue? I may have the distributor 180 degrees wrong

If an intake is open and the spark plug fires you will get a pop out of the carburetor.

This can happen by mis wired dist cap or plugs or a dist too far advanced or retarded or 180 deg out.

A back fire suggests the engine is firing at the wrong time.

You resealed the engine. I'm assuming you removed the distributor.

It can go back in correct or 180deg out.

Also the plugs I assume you pulled the plug wires off the plugs or dist cap

The rotation is clockwise for SB cou ter clockwise for BB.

Be sure the firing order is correct.
That CW vs CCW rotor movement can really keep an engine from running. Ask me how I know!

That sounds promising haha. I was wondering if the fuel pumps on these were strong enough to start and suction and from the looks of it looking on the internet, I’m seeing they do not create much suction while empty. I’m going to be trying this method before I try the gas can method of hooking the line from gas can to fuel pump. I’ll update yall tomorrow
I have in the pass unhooked the fuel line from the filter and added fuel into the hose toward the pump to prime the pumping seals or diaphragm. Reinstall the line and you should be good to go. As someone mentioned forcing air into the tank filler will do the same.

if you have the suction hose in the gas can method you can pull the discharge line off the other side of the fuel pump. You should have fuel there real quick if your suction hose is short. this would at least take the carb and any fuel filter out of the equation and you could know the pump is bad. (again the camshaft eccentric has to be there)

Are you sure you are getting fuel in the fuel lines ??

If you are getting fuel squirting into the carb, its probably because you filled the bowels.

Be sure by running a length of rubber line from the fuel line just before the carb into a container and have someone turn the engine over. If fuel is being drawn from the tank and into the container, you have verified that the problem is not fuel delivery.

If you are getting backfire through the carb and you have eliminated a fuel delivery problem, as Dana67Dart suggested ,your distributer may be installed 180 degrees out.

-
Back