65 dart 4speed drive shaft

-

Denny65GT

Reaction score
i recently bought a 65 dart gt with a 318/727 the 727 was in bad shape. i bought a 65 gt parts car which donated an a833 with drive shaft. my question is will this driveshaft be strong enough for the 318? i'm wanting to build the engine in the future. and also how strong are the a833 with the bolt on drive shaft? any info will be appreciated!

You only replace the driveshaft when the combination changes, like rear end assy. I have never replaced a driveshaft because of breakage, but I do have a pile of driveshafts.LOL

They used the ball & trunnion driveshaft behind big blocks back in the day. It'll hold up with a 318.

Okay I was just unsure I've never had a bolt on drive shaft I am used to the slip yoke. So are the 1965 a833's strong?

Yes, plenty strong. Like Hemi strong.....Ball and trunion too. Your going to need to cut the driveshaft anyway to fit a better rear end if you still have the 7 1/4, that is the weak link. and if the driveshaft is tapered at the flanges so they cant cut 2 inches out of it (or whatever they deem necessary for your new 8.25/8.75 rear) youll need a long doner.

-
Back