65 Dart front U-Joint rebuild!

-

BentBow

65 Dart GT & 66 Barracuda
Reaction score
Oh MY! Ya, no wonder they changed the design in 66!
Holy moley!
They call it a "Ball & Trunnion" I call it a pain in the ***!

The 65 Dart Bible, says the dust boot can be installed without pressing the pin out, by greasing it up and working it over the pin(which I can actually do) and then work it by hand through the trunnion by hand. Ya right!
I spent 3 hours of cussing last night, without success getting the ruber boot through the trunnion with the driveshaft there. My thumb feels like I got arthritis this morning.

Then I'm looking and measuring and it seems like impossible to get the trunnion far enough back with the rubber boot installed, to press the pin back in, if I go that route of pressing the pin out.

Has anyone ever dealt with this design and what choice cuss words and in what combination worked?

If you got a little money, a decent driveshaft shop and arent looking for a show quality restoration theres a parts list to make it like a regular driveshaft.

Well if thats the case then you will figure it out. Lots of smart people out there. I havent had to do mine yet but the boots starting to rip. Hopefully it doesnt go before the motor and trans gets replaced.

Heres a video where he pulls it through the center and not the outside. That might be a good way to go.

Well if thats the case then you will figure it out. Lots of smart people out there. I havent had to do mine yet but the boots starting to rip. Hopefully it doesnt go before the motor and trans gets replaced.
This.... Photos

DSC04581.JPG

DSC04582.JPG

Heres a video where he pulls it through the center and not the outside. That might be a good way to go.

DUDE!!!!!
Bookmark that!!!
You my friend are a life saver! I have not given it a go, but if he got it to work, I have to!
If I get this to work, I owe you BIGTIME!

Now to deal with 104 deg. Texas sun, in the driveway. My daughter stole the EZ-up.
Think the wife will get mad if I do it in the living room?

Last edited:
Load it up through the bathroom window and tell her you're taking a bath,lock the door,crank the music up and go to town. She will never suspect a thing.:rofl:

DUDE!!!!!
Bookmark that!!!
You my friend are a life saver! I have not given it a go, but if he got it to work, I have to!
If I get this to work, I owe you BIGTIME!

Now to deal with 104 deg. Texas sun, in the driveway. My daughter stole the EZ-up.
Think the wife will get mad if I do it in the living room?
Nope!
I ended up ripping the boot down the side.
Had it all the way in to the last rubber collar, after working at it for an hour.
That last pull like the video showed and i pulled one wire all the way through.
That may work on the bigger housing, but not the little Dart.

Well, the boot is now going to get some superglue and a seam!!
I got some flexible glue too.

Nope!
I ended up ripping the boot down the side.
Had it all the way in to the last rubber collar, after working at it for an hour.
That last pull like the video showed and i pulled one wire all the way through.
That may work on the bigger housing, but not the little Dart.

Well, the boot is now going to get some superglue and a seam!!
I got some flexible glue too.
Used an intertube, and made a patch like a tire patch, using rubber cement and small zip ties and it conforms to the congregated rubber.

It is freak'n done and it will get me around to the store and back on sunny days. This Dart will not get driven too much.

Used an intertube, and made a patch like a tire patch, using rubber cement and small zip ties and it conforms to the congregated rubber.

It is freak'n done and it will get me around to the store and back on sunny days. This Dart will not get driven too much.
My boot patch. OK dad, call that what you always did... But it freak'n works and this ain't no show car. Just like dad, it will be my grocery getter for the cool factor, and park the bigass truck that is a beech to park.

DSC04583.JPG

DSC04585.JPG

-
Back