65 Dart New Brake Issue

-

Nilsog

Reaction score
I recently rebuilt my entire brake system, new MC, new drums, shoes, cylinders, and hardware. I only left the brakelines that weren't broken in the course of me replacing everything.

At the moment, I have the system bled. There are no leaks that I can find. I'm encountering a strange issue on the rear brakes. When the brakes are applied, it seems like only the front shoes move, first toward the front of the car, then up. On the passenger side it was so bad that the piston had nearly come out of the cylinder and the strut had fallen out of it's position on the shoe. This happened the first time with the drum on, and then I watched as it happened again with the drum removed (after I had put everything back the way it should be)

I'm at a loss at the moment as to why this would be happening. There is barely any movement on the rear facing shoes. I have tried adjusting the shoes outward, but it hasn't made a difference yet. I've attached some pictures showing what I'm talking about.

This is the Passenger side rear. The shoe has been pushed back into position, but you can see the strut has fallen from where it should be. I will have to disassemble the shoes to get it back in place.

This is the driver side rear.

Any suggestions? I really need some help here.

put the everything back together and put the drums back on...the shoes will equalize when they have something to push against...

First you have the shoes on wrong on the drivers side. The short lining ALWAYS goes to the front of the car.

Think I found my problem.

The passenger side rear drum is 10".

Thanks for pointing out that I had the DS shoes backwards. Not sure how I messed that up but now it's fixed.

Back to the parts store tomorrow morning. I'm working a 48 hour shift starting tomorrow, so at least I won't be waiting at home doing nothing.

Ditto above. I also put a smear of grease on the shoe contact points with the backing plate. Not sure if that helps or hurts. The grease might gum up and get sticky over time as brake dust collects.

You are a brave person to apply the brakes with the drums off. I hope you had a helper and very careful communication so you didn't push the pistons out of the wheel cylinders and make a mess.

Sounds like a simple case of not knowing you are NEVER supposed to push the brakes without the drums on to me.

That was part of the problem for sure, TrailBeast. I was lucky I suppose. Once I put the drums on I discovered the 10" drum was the problem. Still waiting on my 9" replacement.

-
Back