65 Dart Speedo cable replacement

-

BentBow

65 Dart GT & 66 Barracuda
Reaction score
Replace the o-ring and pinion seal on the original metal shielded old style speedo, putting it back in I noticed the cable metal sleeve had split into and the speedo worked erratic with noise at the speedometer. I shoved it up in the transmission, smoothed out but the noise persisted.
Last night the speedo started to sing and pegged at 120 and beyond.
I hope it is just the cable.
Now to find the old style, where it is one piece. not the newer 2 piece.
Will this work?
American Powertrain Speedometer Cables SPUN-20001
Pretty sure the same speedo cable works for manual and automatic
It says fits GM, Ford Mopar pre 68. Did all makes use this same speedo? Can't be!

That cable "looks" like the one used from around 60 or so up to 65 when they went to a newer style cable in 66/67 and changed again in 68. I seriously doubt that Ford and GM used the same cable, but stranger things have happened. If it is the correct cable, it fits both manual and automatic transmissions. I will post some pics of two i have shortly

That cable "looks" like the one used from around 60 or so up to 65 when they went to a newer style cable in 66/67 and changed again in 68. I seriously doubt that Ford and GM used the same cable, but stranger things have happened. If it is the correct cable, it fits both manual and automatic transmissions. I will post some pics of two i have shortly
Ya, I'm 65. I have taken the original out once already, and the end on this one looks to be the same configuration.
But I hate to spend $100 by the time shipping hits it, to find out it is too big or small.

Here are the 2 I have which I know are and will fit a 65 904 or 833

I would be suspect of their claim that it fits up through 68 as Mopar changed the cable in 66 and 67 with the large knurled nut at the transmission adapter and small nut at the speedometer (same small nut used in 65 and earlier speedometers but did change to the black plastic outer case). In 68 they retained the same large nut at the transmission but changed to the push on style

This one is from a 65 4 speed Barracuda I parted out
18475EE5-E2E0-4585-B931-D53857B7B90D.jpeg

This one is a new one I have but missing the firewall grommet. Both have the correct metal outer cable although you can’t tell it by all the dirt on the top one lol!
E796C600-1627-40A6-BA72-F34A45BB4F9A.jpeg

Also FYI the B/C Bodies up though 65 used a similar but longer cable than the A Bodies

To cause what you saw, The cable end had to push hard and sideways on the instruments input. The spinning magnetic part contacted and carried the drum/needle part. I've seen them break that little shaft and drop the needle behind the lens. We know this instrument is worn, lets hope it isn't now too far gone to work right again.
Pull the inst' panel and clean the crud from the instruments square drive hole. Route a new cable to it as straight as possible making sure that the cable isn't pushing on the instrument in any direction. Snug the nut which aligns the sheathe/cable.
Good luck with it.

{SNIP}
I hope it is just the cable.
Now to find the old style, where it is one piece. not the newer 2 piece.
Will this work?
American Powertrain Speedometer Cables SPUN-20001
Saw in another post about speedo bounce... LUBE THE CABLE!
So, with the speedo already disconnected behind the dash, got out the old Silicone Spray, and shot it a few times into the cable housing, letting a few seconds in between to let it soak in. Wish I had better angle.
Hooked it back up and took her for a spin.
Bouncy at first, with the usual noise it had since I got it running a year ago. As I drove it it smoothed out more and more. Noise started to get less.
Still bouncing a little at really slow speed.
Now to spray the back of the speedo this time! Duh!
I didn't think this was going to work, so I didn't attempt the speedo.
Who knew!
I got a Speedo again. KNOCK ON WOOD, GOLD & MY ****!

Saw in another post about speedo bounce... LUBE THE CABLE!
So, with the speedo already disconnected behind the dash, got out the old Silicone Spray, and shot it a few times into the cable housing, letting a few seconds in between to let it soak in. Wish I had better angle.
Hooked it back up and took her for a spin.
Bouncy at first, with the usual noise it had since I got it running a year ago. As I drove it it smoothed out more and more. Noise started to get less.
Still bouncing a little at really slow speed.
Now to spray the back of the speedo this time! Duh!
I didn't think this was going to work, so I didn't attempt the speedo.
Who knew!
I got a Speedo again. KNOCK ON WOOD, GOLD & MY ****!
PS...
And it didn't go all the way to 120+ and constant whine loudly, after lubing.
That may have been my dad ****ing with me... from the other side.
After all it is his car.

-
Back