65 steering

-

68ddart

Reaction score
can anyone tell me the size of the splines on a 65 barracuda power steering gear box on end going to column? I have read there were two sizes .625 and .725 the larger one being for power steering.i purchased a used original coupler for a 65 barracuda with power steering .I received the large coupler which the seller says is correct for the car. but the gear box on the car is power steering but with the smaller diameter.i am thinking I have the wrong gear box .

I think you have that backwards-- manual gear boxes have a larger spline than the power gear boxes. Lawrence

i have read the posts on here where some say the big spline coupler is power and some say small is power . but if you are correct then the guy that just sold me a coupler is wrong. i have to find out for sure before i ask him to take it back,he said it was for sure a 65 barracuda coupler for a power steering box.he said i must have the wrong steering gear box.i figured someone here could help me figure this out..thanks for your input.we just want to get it going with the correct parts.

I may be wrong too but my weak memory is showing both input and output shafts on power and manual boxes to be the same smaller diameters until 1973 ,,, or maybe that was 1970 ?

looks like i will just have to buy another one ..the majority is saying its the small coupler and i have the small on the steering gear but another member sold me a large and was sure it was correct but he said he will take it back..i guess they had both for that year and i need to look for what fits...thanks,thats the year i was born 65 so it must have been a confusing year for everyone,even plymouth,lol,thanks for the info...

-
Back