65 Taillights

-

JoseyWales

Reaction score
I was under the impression that my 65 Dodge dart had 66 taillights, until I saw another 65 with the exact same lights. Does anyone know if 65 came with the lights without the clear centers? My look identical to 66 lights, they are just flat and red. I was thinking since some cars didnt have a reverse lights that maybe these are original. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

65' tail lights have a reversed ''c'' shaped reflector in the trunk lid lights and a c shaped back up light in the quarter panel lights. The 66' Dart lights are flat for both sets and the backup lights are in the bumper. I'm sure there are exceptions about the back up lights because they were an option. I'm sure the 65' and 66' light sets will interchange because the 1/4 panels are the same. Something odd about the 66' rear bumper is that the shape is mis matched to the indentation of the 1/4 panel. the panels are made for a 63'-65' shaped bumper and the 66' has a bumper shape like the 67'. Some cars produced in Canada or Mexico could have different lights compared to their American cousins. The two cars below are both 65's and the tail light is from a 66' Toolmanmike

I also believe the tail lights are inter changeable. The 65 has the reverse light in the tail lights and the 66's are in the bumper.

My lights are most likely 66 lights then. They are identical to the one pictured. They dont have the inset c and reverse c. I guess that means I will add them to my list of parts needed. Unless I can find some better 66 lights. Which ones are easier to come by? Thanks

I don't have any production figures handy but I know that there were lots more 65's made than 66's. The 65' lights should be easier to find. Good luck!
toolmanmike

i always see those tail lites at mopar meets,,,

but im sure laysons reproductions had them,,,,,,

Saw a 65 Dart GT Convertible tonight.

It had backup lights.

Nice car, saw it about 15-20 mins from my house at a lil cruise.

My '81 Imperial is in the background.

DSCN0240Medium.JPG

DSCN0238Medium.JPG

-
Back