'65 Torqueflite 904 Installation Snafu (always somethin')

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Beach Boys:

"First gear, it's all right (Honda, Honda, go faster, faster)
Second gear, I'll lean right (Honda, Honda, go faster, faster)
Third gear, hang on tight (Honda, Honda, go…"

But our 904 don't have first gear. Installed '65 Formula S floor shift 904 cables (sans motor) and cannot pull the gear shift from second to first (stops dead at second). This 904 was rebuilt by a local Mexican shop. The area where the cable enters the transmission is still surrounded by the same silicon that was there before the rebuild (photo #1 before rebuild, photos #2, #3 after rebuild).

Need to have a talk with the shop owner this week and see what is wrong. (I have a complete '65 Valiant floor shift convertible here on site for comparison: see photo #4). Thankfully, the Formula S motor has not been installed yet.

904 cable threads 1.JPG

cable threads Barracuda.JPG

904 Barracuda cable 1.JPG

cable threads convertible.JPG

Improperly adjusted would be my guess. There very easy to adjust, FSM has the information. I'd recommend a new o-ring for the cable, lose the silicone. 65'

I dropped the pan and working with a helper and the FSM adjusted my 62 pushbutton.
With the pan off you can see everything you need to do and what your problem might be.

There is a rooster comb in there, probably hitting something. You sure you cant find first (you may be in first already?)

The console is off, so I can watch and see every nook and cranny, quits on the second to last rooster comb notch.

-
Back