65 Val convert

-

cobrabike

Reaction score
Can anyone discribe the difference between the floor pans of a 65 Dart GT and a 65 Valiant. I am in the process of bringing a 65 Valiant convertible 4 speed back to life. I have replaced the front floor pans and have started to look for carpet. I have found carpet for the 63-65 Dart 4 speed; however, the suppliers say the carpet will not fit the 63-65 Valiant 4 speed . The replacement front pans are listed for both the Dart and the Valiant.
Any info will be greatly apppreciated.

I am pretty sure the floor pans are the same, not sure why the carpet is different.

The front floor pans are the same between Dart and Valiant. The rear floor pans are longer on the Dart. That's where the Dart's longer wheelbase comes from.

The Darts had a longer wheelbase and the extra room went into rear seat leg room. The rear floor pans are 3 inches longer and the carpet is sized to fit. You may be able to use the Dart carpet with trimming, but I would contact the vendor to make sure. Stock Interiors has a listing for Valiant convertibles with column shift and Darts with 4 speed. Maybe they could make one up for you.

I talked to Stock Interiors and their solution was for me to buy 2 sets of carpet. 1 set for the coupe 4 speed front and the convertible set for the back. If these are molded to the proper floor pan, the Dart may not fit. Thanks for the info

Are these 1 piece or 2 piece kits? Buying the Dart convertible set and either cutting a 1 piece in two or overlapping a 2 piece set and trimming the excess would be less expensive. Who's going to notice if the seam is under the seats?

I'm down here in Oz so not sure of what you've got there, but aren't there other suppliers that you could try?
Also if the Dart rear is a little longer the suggestion to cut the front of the rear carpet shorter (even if you have to have that seam overlocked) would be a lot cheaper wouldn't it?
Just food for thought???

-
Back