65 Valiant 4 Door

-

Andgott

Reaction score
What started out as a quick refresh of the paint job is turing in to a MAJOR project... I suppose that's how it always goes. Hopefully over the next few weeks/months, I'll get all the body work done, and get her repainted!

I've been driving and enjoying my '65, but decided to fix a few problem areas before they got worse. The first one was the rear quarter panel- The car had been in a wreck 30-40 years ago, and had been repaired. The 'repair' was pretty bad- Mostly bondo- So I decided to replace the panel with new metal. While I was at it, I straightened out the rear valance as well-

041316Repair.jpg

Then I decided I might as well tackle the rust on the bottom of the fenders. It took me a while to find all the bolts and get them off, but finally I got the Drivers side off-

0518FenderOff.jpg

Hidden under some bondo, MORE HOLES-

0518FenderRust.jpg

0518FenderRust2.jpg

Swiss Cheese anyone?

So, I'll need to make up a few patch panels...

0518PatchParts1.jpg

Parts Cut....

0518patchparts2.jpg

Edge shaped with shrinker/stretcher...

0518patchwelded.jpg

Edge tacked....

0518PatchDone.jpg

And, the patch welded and smoothed, ready to install.

Once the body work is done, it'll be PAINT TIME. Originally, I was going to just do white- But that was before the project became so extensive. Now, I am thinking about a different color.

I had PLANNED to have it done and back on the road for the Cruise-In at the end of June, But it looks like I might have to push that back to the July cruise-in now :)

Thought you might like to see how I flared my rear fenderwells to fit a 1970 Dodge Challenger 8 3/4 sure grip (4.56 to 1).

65 Valiant1.jpeg

More done...

522fitting.jpg

I taped off the area to be cut away on the front of the fender, then made some patches to weld in.
522Cut.jpg

Then used the plasma cutter to cut out the bad metal.

522panelstart.jpg

I formed the patch by beating it out on a shot bag... This is WAY early in the process and it still has a really bad case of the 'panel pox'...

522Done.jpg

Welded in and smoothed down. It'll require just some minimal filler before priming/painting.

Now to cut away the damage on the back of the fender... The Plasma cutter will do the trick nicely...
523PlasmaReady.jpg

523PlasmaCut.jpg

That was easy. I love that thing- But I need a LOT more practice with it :)

523FenderWelded.jpg

The patch I made before fits!!

523CutOut.jpg

Next I cut off the rusted out metal behind the patch... I didn't use the plasma cutter for this for obvious reasons, since there was a stiffener behind it I didn't want to cut through.

After cutting, a little media blasting to clean it up-

523Blsted.jpg

And, Cut out the damaged areas-
523InDamCut.jpg

I was able to use the Plasma cutter for this... MUCH faster.

523InPatchS.jpg

Then I made some patch pieces up, using my shrinker and stretcher to get the curves and bends right...
523InPatchFit.jpg

Then welded it all in place. Obviously it doesn't need to look as purdy, since it's never going to be seen.

523PanelTAcked.jpg

The patch tacked in place....

523PanelWelded.jpg

And welded...

523PanelWelded2.jpg
Grinding started...
523PanelWelded3.jpg

And, DONE. Turned out decent, Although I am still going to need a BIT of filler... Shhhhh!

I'll be working a late one tonight- I'm 'transitioning' from day to night shift (I work a DuPont rotation), so I need to stay up until about 3-4 am...

A bit more progress... I've started priming some panels.
061016Primed.jpg

And, The hood/trunk lid-

061616hood.jpg

Drivers side doors ALMOST ready for primer-

061616doors.jpg

After I finish up any required body work over the grey epoxy, I'll be using House Of Kolor KD3000 RED primer over it.

I've decided on a color, too. Body will be red, top white. I am going to use a red that's a little darker than the factory red, and a slightly off white color for the top.

Started stripping the body... She's almost naked!

062016striped.jpg

The original plan was to just scuff the paint, prime, and repaint. But, I decided that I might as well just bring it down to bare metal. It really doesn't take all that much longer using the stripping pads that I use, they make really quick work of it.

062016engine.jpg

I did the engine bay with the sandblaster, after covering up the engine and anything else that could be damaged. It saved a LOT of hand sanding.

It's been a while since I've posted... I've done a LOT of work since then.

First, I got the rest of the paint off-
070116naked.jpg

Then, a coat of Epoxy sealer/primer-

08102016Primed.jpg

08102016Primed2.jpg

After the final body work was done over the sealer, I primed the top WHITE-

81516Primed.jpg

And, The bottom RED. I used House of Kolor KD3000 epoxy. A little pricey, but nice stuff-

08312016Primed.jpg

Then, Some paint.
08312016Paint.jpg
Candy apple red.

White roof-
09012016Painted1.jpg

09022016fender.jpg

09012016Painted.jpg

A little orange peel here and there- But I'm pretty happy. I've painted a lot of boats, but this is the first car I've painted.

Now, to put it all back together-
09182016 dooron.jpg

09212016Front.jpg

I've still got lots to do, but I've got the next week off. Hopefully, I'll be back on the road soon!

Nice looking. I do like the choice of colors and especially the white top. I want to do a white top on my wagon when I get it painted but I'm sure what to do as far as the rest of the body. It was mostly a drab yellow from the factory. I just cant go all of that bodywork and painting myself. Yours looks gorgeous.

More progress... It's coming along.

The trunk seal is installed-
09262016Trunk.jpg

And, New windlace on all the doors-
09262016Windlave.jpg

'Cat Whiskers' on the windows-
09262016Whiskers.jpg

New tires are ordered, so tomorrow I'll remove and blast the wheels to paint them. I'm so close to being able to drive I can TASTE it :)

-
Back