65 Valiant 4dr brake concerns, original or upgrade?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
My Valiant has original 4 wheel drums 9" all 4 wheels. I noticed the master cylinder behind the pushrod boot has some wetness, the stoplight switch is stuck. I checked the rear on one side because the E-brake doesn't hold and I noticed the self-adjuster cable was broken and fell out. The brakes actually stop really good. It's got a good pedal. Parts are still available to rebuild the drums system. Is this system adequate for occassional driving? Do they make a direct bolt on line kit for swapping to a dual master cylinder? I don't want to have to bend any lines. How often do the single port master cylinders totally all out fail and everything goes out going 70mph? I know that I've seen many bigger and more powerful restored cars at car shows with guys still running a single port master cylinder. I just want to know what I should do to restore my brake system. Thanks.

How often do the single port master cylinders totally all out fail and everything goes out going 70mph? QUOTE]

All it takes is once.

Most of the brake lines are available from www.inlinetube.com I am trying to think what year the first dual master cylinder came out on the a bodies but for the life of me I don't remember right now.

Edit: Looks like it was 1967.

I'd be more concerned about the 9" brakes which are really bad at stopping the car. At the very least I'd look for a donor car with 10" drums or even better go with disc up front and 10" drums in the rear. If you stick with a single master be sure your emergency brake actually works properly because you may need it some day.

Ok i can show ya what happens when u get brake fade lol There Ok but think bout this pic lol .... I would upgrade it . If you have the cash to do so . Its a 4 door your not going to hurt what its woth . givin even if i had mine updated at the time she still would have hit me just not as hard lol Btw Im going bbp disk with my barracuda

If you change from 9" drums, I wouldn't consider 10" drums but rather go to front disks. There are several front disk conversions that work w/ your 9" spindles. Scarebird is the least expensive.

I am not convinced that the dual MC helps a lot. My 69 Dart had that but the pedal went to the floor with no warning. Most times the imbalance switch that is supposed to detect a failure is stuck, especially if you use regular brake fluid. Still, I changed to a dual on my 64 & 65 A's. I used a later cloud car aluminum MC. My 64 is manual, so I just drilled 2 holes in the firewall & pedal bracket rather than buy the ~$50 adapter.

I know of no bolt-on tubing kit. It isn't hard to bend brake tubing. Just get a $5 bender. However, unless you can find the exact length pre-made, you will need a quality dbl flare tool. Look for several posts on how to replumb your existing T (need a 3/16" plug, 3/16" coupler, and 1/4"M to 3/16"F adapter, all "inverted flare").

Replace that single master ASAP. Someone was nice enough to give me a set of front 10 inchers, and it made a huge difference, yet if your car stops really well currently, then just update the master cylinder to a safer unit. 67+ dual master cylinder (iron) or get a newer aluminum 4 bolt unit. There is a how-to for early cars, do a search and it should help you do the conversion easily to a dual master.

-
Back